Arrows for elk?

arik1

Dec 13, 2018
Hello all,
I'll be going on my first archery elk hunt in September, and am wondering what type of arrow setup I should use. I'm just a little fella, so my arrows are only 27". My main question is about FOC, and if adding weight to the front will negativity impact my shorter arrows? I just figure with fewer inches to my arrows, I obviously have fewer grains, so if I want to beef them up, I'll need more up front. But if adding weight ruins flight, not worth it.

There are a ton of options out there for arrow setup, but simply put adding weight to the front of your arrow won't negatively impact things unless you make severe changes to the FOC. What's your current setup?

As of now I'm shooting the Easton deep six injexions (non FMJ) with 100 gr qad exodus broadheads off my Mathews Z7. Hoping to have a new bow before the elk hunt though. Shot the Vertix a couple weeks ago and I think I "need" it haha.

Funny you should say that....that's the way I'm leaning. I'm just wondering if I should get the weighted inserts/outserts, or what to use. But it sounds like it will just be a shoot and see thing until I find what works. I don't think I'll be able to get near that 450-500 gr mark without being about 50% FOC though lol.

I don't think I'll be able to get near that 450-500 gr mark without being about 50% FOC though lol.

Wrong. I?m shooting a 5mm 340 FMJ with 3 Blazers, standard insert and 100 grain Iron Will. It comes in at 490 grain with 11% FOC.
The MOST important thing is it turns perfectly out of my Answer and E35. It doesn?t matter how heavy it is on how high the FOC is if it won?t tune and shoot. JMO.

Agreed. And I just crunched some numbers based in day six arrows, and if I want, I can get real heavy. So, I was wrong in that regard. Now to play around and see what shoots best.

jstephens61 said:
I don't think I'll be able to get near that 450-500 gr mark without being about 50% FOC though lol.

Wrong. I?m shooting a 5mm 340 FMJ with 3 Blazers, standard insert and 100 grain Iron Will. It comes in at 490 grain with 11% FOC.
The MOST important thing is it turns perfectly out of my Answer and E35. It doesn?t matter how heavy it is on how high the FOC is if it won?t tune and shoot. JMO.

^^^ This.  Shooting the same arrows but are 1" shorter with 340 spine.  I'm also shooting a 100 grain broadhead and mine are weighing in at 455.  Proven deadly.

Agreed I have set up a few arrows for short draw, lighter set ups, using easton axis 5mm arrows, with brass inserts. Add a wrap, 4 fletch and nocturnal nocks to get all the weight I can front and back. All set ups have been easy to tune, besides the one where it was a little underspined, but it still tuned!

Can't go wrong with an Easton Axis 340 with hidden inserts, and to add a little FOC put footers on them. Super Strong combination

Anyone running victory vap
Just brewed up a dozen and a half vap tko
Have 18.2 foc w total weight 489

I got 29.75? fmj 340 5mm w 100 grain slick tricks at around 55gr w 12% foc tunes great out of my hoyt

Jmillgreen said:
I?m looking at axis 340, but what are footers?
Footers beef up the end of the shaft from the outside and and weight. I run the Easton BAR on my FMJ. They cover the end of your shaft and I don?t add weight that I don?t want.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back