ATV Technology

Don K

Mar 31, 2014
Started the research on ATV\'s as I plan on buying one in the next month. Need one to do a bunch of work at my house, and plow the driveway. It will also get used to get my father back into a area I have him permission to hunt as he is handicap and cant walk very far at all.

This will be a investment, and a tool for me to use when needed.

I have owned ATV\'s in the past, Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Honda. When I was younger, and stupid (mid 80\'s) I used to travel to many states and race them motocross. I haven\'t owned one in 10 years or so and man what a difference in machines. I looked at Polaris, Can-am, and Honda in the last week and will look at other brands. These new machines remind me of new cars. Power steering on a ATV? Crazy all the bells and whistles they offer on them now.

I see used ones hold their value if they are in good shape so I\'m most likely going new.

Need to figure out what I need, what I want, and what I can afford!

I have a Polaris Sportsman 500 HO. The thing is a tank and has 25\" ITP Mudlite tires on it. I wanted the independent rear end because my Suzuki Quadrunner 2wd gets around great with that. Honestly I like the lighter Suzuki and the gear shift on it instead of the auto that the Polaris has.

So...... I picked up an old Suzuki King Quad that needed some engine repairs and new plastics for $50. I am going to strip it to the frame and paint it. Then use the plastics from my 2wd and engine parts to build what I want. I will replace the axle boots if needed and build guards to protect them from sticks. Four new 6 ply tires and I will have what I want. I like the King Quads pre 2002. My 97 has HI, LOW, And Super low gears. It also has a Differential Lock when in Super low. It will go about anywhere and pull a heck of a load.

Try a few out and see what options you like before you decide.

First I have to put a new connecting rod and bearings in my sons dirt bike this weekend so I can make room in the garage for my project.

ATVs sure have come a long way.
I bought mine new back in \'02 & \'04
YAmahas. One is 400 4wd and the other is a 350 2wd.
I really like them both, and the CCs is perfect for what I do

If I were you Im not sure what brand/size I would go with.

Im not going crazy on size for sure.

Honda, I have been looking at the 4x4 Ranchers, 420.

Polaris, I have been looking at the 450 HO, that really is a 500. (4x4)

Can Am , I have been looking at the 450L (4x4)

Will get to Yamaha and Suzuki this weekend. They are all close in price depending on options. Right now they have sales and incentives on the 2016\'s because the 17\'s are on the floor.

Strange thing for me was the warranty. Honda has 1 year, Polaris and Can-Am have only 6 months. All offer extended warranty\'s just like cars. Granted the ones I owned in the past didn\'t have any problems all the technology that is on them now could be expensive if something does go wrong.

Once I figure out a couple I will take them for a spin and so from there.

Going to be interesting to see which one you end up with. I\'m in the market as well but going used only due to costs. In the past, I\'ve always had a Yamaha and honestly the most reliable starting ATV ever.

One thing I like on the Yamaha is the front and rear \'baskets/railing\' whereas the Polaris has the compartments. I haven\'t looked at them both but I\'d like one of each - easy to get to storage that will keep stuff dry plus the railing allows for tie off points when carrying a deer.

A hunting friend has an older Polaris Sportsman 500 and a 700. He says the 700 uses almost double the gas of the 500 so something I\'m keeping in mind too.

I\'m looking into a side-by-side for my Dad who has MS and having difficulties walking. It\'d be much easier for him to slide onto the seat than swing a leg up and over on the ATV.

\"Colorado Russ\" said:
A hunting friend has an older Polaris Sportsman 500 and a 700. He says the 700 uses almost double the gas of the 500 so something I\'m keeping in mind too.

Good point Russ.

My Polaris 500 HO uses a lot of gas. The 97 Suzuki King Quad 300 My son has is much leaner on gas. He goes through 1 tank to my 3.

I would have to carry extra fuel if I went far with the Polaris.

I have a Sportsman 500 and it has been great. I use it for plowing, working on items out at our home, mowing the property, and also for hunting. If I could do it again, I would do one of two things...either get power steering, which would be very helpful with plowing, or just bite the bullet and get an RZR. The Sportsman gets the job done fine, but I have a neighbor with an RZR. When we got hit with some of those deep snows last year, I would have to take the top layer off of the snow when plowing, then come back and hit the rest. I would get high centered or stuck on occasion. The RZR? He just sat inside the heated cab and blew threw the snow like it was nothing. There was quite a bit of envy there when he was plowing the roads for the neighborhood and I trailed him to help clean up the slack. Definitely a difference in price, but man would it be nice to have one of those! I would think your father might like driving that over riding an ATV as well?

Great input!

I would love to get a side by side but the cost is just to high from what I have seen. We use a Polaris Ranger at my buddy\'s farm to get my dad around and it works great. If I could afford a SS it would have to be a RZR, or a model that would fit the 50 inch trails, and fit in the bed of a pickup.

Any belt issues on the Polaris after all the plowing and work?

Power steering is 900 on a polaris, 400 on a Can Am, and not sure on the Honda.

Hmmm

Honda makes a Pioneer SS that is 50 wide and isnt priced to bad.

Need to check out some reviews

I have a 06 Polaris 500 X2. I love this thing. Being able to ride 2 people comfortably is great but I like having the box on the back more. I use the box a lot in the winter for hauling my ice fishing gear. Gets plenty of use setting up deer stands and mowing trails in the summer. Where it is awesome is plowing snow. Being a two up it is heavy so with chains on and a sand bag in the box it pushes snow like a pickup. I really like the EFI in the cold weather over my old one that had a choke all so.

I really like the new ATVs and the SxSs but I cant let go with what works :)

My \'02 Yamaha 400 Big Bear does a good job plowing snow, but like Derek said, sometimes it take a few more passes.

I have 3800 miles on it and I have done absolutely nothing to it, except change the oil

Last year when it snowed 14 inches, it had no problems.
I plow my road, and paths in my yard, from my house to my barn :)
Kinda fun

I really like my Polaris Ranger 400 mid-size... I think they have increased them to 500\'s now but my 400 gets as good of fuel mileage as most 400 4-wheelers and will ride two comfortably...

Have not even thought of looking at a X2 gonna have to see what they go for

3,800 miles and nothing done is great!!

Love the Rangers, but they wont fit on a 50 inch trail and putting in the bed of a pickup is interesting.

Usually the bigger the machine, the higher the center of gravity. Makes the bigger machine slightly more tippy.

OK, here\'s another question.

Any of you have a separate Insurance policy for your ATV? The ones I have owned in the past I have never bought insurance. I can get a separate policy for a ATV with coverage\'s like a Auto for 200 a year for a brand new unit.

I\'ve never had insurance on my ranger but am seriously thinking about it since we had one of our duck boats stolen last fall... If I get some it will be on a different policy...

Don, as much as brand new ones are, I\'d get a policy at least for the first couple of years. OR, get one of those GPS trackers and put under the seat in case it ever gets stolen then you and Mr. Glock can go retrieve it!! Ok, insurance policy is likely better approach.

Anxious to see what you end up buying.

Ive not insured my ATVs or snowmobiles.

I would check with your Homeowners policy and see if that extends to anything at risk

I had mine insured for probably the first 5 or 6 years. I think I would do some checking on prices though. Mine was under a 100 for a year.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back