Back country food?

TheBigShow

Mar 24, 2018
Hey all,

Planning my first back country pack hunt and seeing what you guys pack for food? We usually just throw an MRE in the pack every morning but that would get a little heavy carrying 3 days worth at probably 2 per day. Do you just go the easy route and buy mountain house or do you dehydrate and make your own? Open to any and all options.

Thanks
Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I take 1 mtn house per day for dinner. The rest is snacks. Protein bars, jerky, peanut butter or other nut butter packets, chips, fruit snacks, bagels (with whatever you want on them, PB and bacon is popular), Oreos, ramen, dried fruit etc.

Lot of junk food but need calories and fats have 9 calories per gram so that?s where you?ll get most of them. I try to keep my food around 1.5 lbs or less per day @ 3000+ calories. Also recommend putting your food in an app like MyFitnessPal so you know how much you are taking. Can easily think you have enough then see it?s only 1500 calories and that won?t cut it.

My daily backcountry food kit.
Aprox. 3000 Calories - 29 oz.
Breakfast: 575
Calories Costco sunrise energy bar, Kind healthy grain bar, Protein Powder with  PB Fit Advocare Rehydrate and Spark

Lunch / Snack: 1375 Cals. Green belly Meal Bar with Justins Almond Honey Butter, Yellow Tuna in Olive Oil on everything bagel, Advocare Rehydrate and Spark, Snickers 100 cal. snack size

Dinner: Cals. 1025
Mountain House with 2 Tabl. Olive oil added, Protein powder with PB fit
Snickers 100 cal. snack size

big44a4 said:
I take 1 mtn house per day for dinner. The rest is snacks. Protein bars, jerky, peanut butter or other nut butter packets, chips, fruit snacks, bagels (with whatever you want on them, PB and bacon is popular), Oreos, ramen, dried fruit etc.

Lot of junk food but need calories and fats have 9 calories per gram so that?s where you?ll get most of them. I try to keep my food around 1.5 lbs or less per day @ 3000+ calories. Also recommend putting your food in an app like MyFitnessPal so you know how much you are taking. Can easily think you have enough then see it?s only 1500 calories and that won?t cut it.

I too try and run 3k calories for 1.5-1.75 lbs per day for food. 

I set per day breakfast with coffee, snack, lunch, snack, dinner.  I separate each day in its own bag so I don?t over eat something easy to gobble like jerky and trail mix.  I just space out and go straight to the bottom of the bag if I don?t!   

I use Blackrifle coffee company insta-sticks for coffee.  Breakfast is belvita and honey almond butter and dried fruits.  Snack a is a protein puck, honey stinger. Lunch green belly meal and jerky, snack b trail mix and a protein bar, snack b is big sur bar or rxbar, dinner is a mountainhouse and some sort of small sweet.  Don?t hold me to it but I think that?s it. I usually toss it in a spread sheet and forget about it and literally pack off my list. I?m just a list guy I guess.

i hate MH meals,but they are a necessarily evil.  i supplement with processed foods from the grocery store.  like Idahoan instant mash potatoes.  they go pretty great with the MH beef stew (for example)

instant couscous as well.  i need to branch out and find other food companies..like Heather or something.

I?ve usually just bought mountain house but this year I broke down and got a dehydrator so I?m anxious to try some healthier recipes. 

Im going to attempt to go the dehydrating rout myself this year... Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Make sure to try out your food before you go as well.  Last year I took Greenbelly Meal bars with me.  Did not like the taste at all and they made my hands swell up from the high amounts of sodium. 

headnwest said:
Make sure to try out your food before you go as well.  Last year I took Greenbelly Meal bars with me.  Did not like the taste at all and they made my hands swell up from the high amounts of sodium.

I?ll take your word for it. But my hands swell up from hiking/walking and or long periods of time hanging at waist. Typically not a sodium problem for me. 

I have been dehydrating my own backpacking food for years. Commercial backpacking meals are getting a little better but still are bulky and don't really care for them. My advice is you can dehydrate almost anything you normally eat except anything with grease, oil or butter. A small amount is ok but can go rancid in normal or warm temperatures. I love spaghetti and other pasta meals with a little added freeze dried meat that you can get from back packing suppliers. You should just try them at home by trying dehydrating left overs. I guarantee that once you get the hang of it, you'll never go back.

Isn't MH meals freeze dried rather than dehydrated. Foods seem to act differently when dehydrated. Meats just don't seem to get back to the before drying texture like they do when freeze dried. I really like the MH meals. I think fruits and veggies do pretty good in the dehydrator but not meats.

I took dehydrated potatoes form the store and added dehydrated deer meat. I also added dehydrated mushrooms and zucchini. I did those myself. I had dehydrated onion so I threw that in and then got some dehydrated milk powder and added some butter powder that is made for popcorn and whatever other seasonings I thought would be good. It made enough to fill a gallon zip lock bag and didn't cost much. The only things I bought were the potatoes and mushrooms. I either grew or had the other things. It is good but I take it to supplement everything else I eat. The bigger bits separate so you need to mix it up before serving. 

I like to go to costco and get raw almonds, roasted / salted cashews, and a couple of bags of dried fuit - one being dried cranberries. Occasionally, costco doesn't have all the items for my trial mix which can be annoying. I find this to be a good combination of salt / suger / fat / protein and helps keep me going in the mountains. I get the ziplock snack size and make a bunch up before hunting season - usually try to make one or two for everyday I plan on hunting.

Mountain house for me. My time is limited so I would rather just buy freeze dried meals than make them myself.

Ended up buying freeze dried meals from Camp Chow. Cheaper than mountain house and sold out of a small shop on the gunflint trail in my home state of MN. Check out there products they are delicious and a ton of variety. Also made venison jerky and peanut butter bacon honey bagels. Will throw in some cliff, quest, some snickers bars, and dehydrated strawberries and apple for snacking during the day. Going to enter it all into my fitness pal app to make sure I have enough calories everyday. The dehydrator is gunna be on overtime between now and when we leave!

Mountian house, cliff bars, oatmeal, instant coffee, hot chocolate, gummies, and a package of ichiban

Around 2000 call per day

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back