Back country food?

TheBigShow said:
Hey all,

Planning my first back country pack hunt and seeing what you guys pack for food? We usually just throw an MRE in the pack every morning but that would get a little heavy carrying 3 days worth at probably 2 per day. Do you just go the easy route and buy mountain house or do you dehydrate and make your own? Open to any and all options.

Thanks
Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Packaged foods like Mountain House are loaded with sodium, and other ingredients you need a degree in scientific words to understand. Personally, I carry boxes of soup. If you're like me, I love to eat. However, when I am hunting, I just am never hungry. But, there is nothing like having a warm meal, whatever it is, after a long day. Helps keep your spirits up. Again, for my main meal, I buy the organic soups, stick with the higher caloric ones, like BLack bean, and potato soup. For snacks, Justin's peanut butter packs, RX bars, Garden of Life protein bars, almonds, cashews and raisins, and Epic bites. Oh and for breakfast, just oatmeal. I tried bringing maple syrup ONCE. Never again. Murphy's law is real. My pack was a walking bear attractant. I can survive without maple syrup on my oatmeal.

Here's my usual daily diet, though I'll sub some of the snack foods out for alternatives. I drink a good bit of my protein, between normal protein shakes and miscellar cassein, which is a slow-metabolizing protein. I keep the lunch/snacks on my hip belt and eat them regularly from about 10-3.

FOOD
Breakfast
Pro Bar
Ascent Protein
Via
Shaker

Snacks/Lunch
Justin?s and 2 Tortillas
Clif Blok sleeve
Jerky
Snickers minis
Miscellar Cassein