Backstraps on the camp fire

Big Tex

Jan 8, 2013
Not getting ahead of myself at all with this  ;)  but what Mcgyver methods or items have you had success with cooking elk backstraps over the open flame in the backcountry.

For some reason we've always been too worn out or focused on getting the next bull to cook any meat up, but it sure sounds tasty from where I sit now.

I like to take a small BBq grate with me, that way I can hang it in a tree and return to it next year; but that depends on if I fill my tag.

well for me the first to get cooked is the tenderloins or some times a hart steak, If im going to eat on the mountain I take a mix of seasonings in a ziplock bag and you can cook them any way ,a stick down the middle, on a grate or a good clean flatish river rock in the side of the fire, the rock will heat up just like a fry pan, or the old wrap it in foil with onion and potato cooked on some hot coals. dam Im getting hungry, time to go pull some elk steaks out of the freezer.

No elk yet, but we have cooked a couple wild gobblers on a spit after back packing into a hunting area.

Not exactly elk over the open fire but it was still mighty tasty over the camp stove!  ;D
IMG_2962_zps9fea42e4.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back