Best gear purchase so far

Big Country

Aug 29, 2013
I'm a big time gear junkie and am constantly researching and looking for the best new thing out there.  I don't need something just because its shiny and new, but really want something that's going to make my life easier, more efficient, or improve my chances. 

Last year I decided to buy the Kifaru universal gun bearer and this thing is amazing.  By far the best purchase I've made for rifle hunting and for under $40.  I've always hated fighting with my rifle/sling and this thing isthe answer, especially when packing out elk!  I'll never forget the image of my hunting partner trying to carry out a front quarter in his arms and trying to wrangle his rifle while I packed a hind, backstraps, tenderloins, scraps, and rifle without issue. 

What is your best purchase so far, big or small?

Probably my hammock set up. Took some practice to work out the kinks & find that sweet spot but now I sleep like a baby regardless of terrain and don't have to worry about rain seeping under the sides of a tent, all for less than 2 1/2lbs.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    266.7 KB · Views: 41
It's an ENO Doublenest with ENO Pro Rain Fly. This year rather than having the tarp under the hammock I bought an ENO Underbelly. It hangs under your hammock to keep my pack and gear off the ground. I use a therma rest inflatible sleep pad in the hammock. It does two things: keeps my underside insulated(compressed sleeping bag = no insulation - a factor when you're elevated; helps keep the hammock spread open. It also gives me an option of going to the ground if need be. In addition, I made pad wings out of a military foam sleeping pad(cut in half then down the middlelong ways). These go on both side of your sleeping pad to keep your shoulders and hips from getting cold from compression as well. To keep them spaced and from slippage in the hammock I connected them with non slip rug pad. This set up I found really works for me. Hammock does not squeeze you like a burrito, no cold spots, and no sliding around inside your hammock. As I get older I have to hit the head at least once a night. I have a medical urinal I got from a nurse so I never have to leave the hammock to do my business. Just one of those things that makes things a little easier. Sorry for the long diatribe.

usmcvet said:
Probably my hammock set up. Took some practice to work out the kinks & find that sweet spot but now I sleep like a baby regardless of terrain and don't have to worry about rain seeping under the sides of a tent, all for less than 2 1/2lbs.

That's a pretty sweet setup man, I have 3 eno hammocks but never really considered taking them hunting! 

Another great purchase for me last year was my EXO 3500, but plenty on this site about that pack.  Really, I'm most impressed with the gun bearer.  Keep em coming!

I like that ENO tarp usmcvet!
I'm a hammock shy former squid, so I like my tents. I do have one under the pinions for siesta now....lol

Getting Leki poles was a big improvement over the single stick and far outweigh any noise factor that comes up.

The Lowa Tibets were the best. Excellent boot for my hunting & country.

Picked up a good used MR crewcab pack for day hunts & I do really like it.
Getting used to it. Packed out a buck this year.
Lighter/smaller,  but stiffer feeling than the J-104 I have used for 10 yrs and still really like.

hank4elk said:
I like that ENO tarp usmcvet!
I'm a hammock shy former squid, so I like my tents. I do have one under the pinions for siesta now, lol
That's funny hank4elk, I'm a former infantry marine that spent a lot of time in tents so I went the opposite way.
I tried my Outdoor Edge Sling blade out this year on a deer. That gutting blade did a real good job & the knife side kept a good edge.

Maxhunter said:
Question does it move much in high winds?
No it doesn't. The rain fly does a good job insulating you from the wind & rain. Had this set up for 3 weeks straight, 2 1/2 of which rained. I was concerned about the ends getting wet. Not one drop touched my down sleeping bag the whole time. The only time it sways is when you 1st get in the momentum swings you a little. I kind of like it, feels like it rocks you to sleep, and I'm someone who gets motion sickness at the drop of a dime.

The only time it sways is when you 1st get in the momentum swings you a little. I kind of like it, feels like it rocks you to sleep, and I'm someone who gets motion sickness at the drop of a dime.

LOL, I get sealegs again after a short elevator ride still,haven't seen the ocean in 7 yrs.

With the hammock setup would it be better to have the tarp go all the way to the ground and a little higher so you can stand up to change and put on your boots. Also how does it work when the weather gets cold like in the low teens to single digits and snow. Where do you cook is it a way from where you sleep and do you have a tarp or something for cover in bad weather? How do you keep the rain from running down the rope you tie to the tree just like to check out how you keep everything dry in the rain.
Thanks
David T.
in E TN
Eph.3:20
1st. Kings21:3

tn ehunter said:
With the hammock setup would it be better to have the tarp go all the way to the ground and a little higher so you can stand up to change and put on your boots. Also how does it work when the weather gets cold like in the low teens to single digits and snow. Where do you cook is it a way from where you sleep and do you have a tarp or something for cover in bad weather? How do you keep the rain from running down the rope you tie to the tree just like to check out how you keep everything dry in the rain.
If you mean having it as a lean to that's more of a personal preference. The way I have it set up I can stand under my tarp & also sit on the hammock like a seat. With the lean to your leaving one side exposed. We had inclement weather this year & I just set up my jetboil under the tarp and boiled my water. I used it in 20 degree weather & slept like a baby - warm all night long. That's all going to depend on your sleeping bag rating. Mine is a 0 degree down bag. I've never had an issue with water running down the tie off ropes. Could be the extra portion I leave dangling down & water will follow the easiest path.

Quality boots are close to the top of the list for one of my best purchases. You will be amazed at how much longer you body will hold up in the field.

For me, First Lite merino. I've been wearing merino layers since 2006 and I still itched. Then I found Icebreaker but still had some itch. Finding FL was a godsend.

For me Sitka mt pants, love those things, amazing how much less I worry about the weather (used cotton before 🙄) and they are so comfortable. And a core4ellment moreno top has been great also. 

Elk crazy said:
For me Sitka mt pants, love those things, amazing how much less I worry about the weather (used cotton before 🙄) and they are so comfortable. And a core4ellment moreno top has been great also.

Don't have the mountain pants, yet....but love my Timerlines!  Those pants are awesome!

1) Swarovski EL's... Had the Razor HD's and these are crazy superior in color/ chromatic aberration.  Buy once/ cry once.  I love to run them off of a tripod with the outdoorsman stud.  It is amazing the additional animals I've picked up with this setup.

2) Kifaru Hunting Frame/ Nomad/ Grab-It... an extremely versatile setup that is perfect for day trips to multi-day trips and allows meat to be hauled out on round 1.  I hauled my entire mule deer (gutless method) out in this pack with my day trip gear in it.  Also hauled two elk hind quarters w/ rifle and day trip gear in it.  Crazy comfortable.

3) KUIU Bino Harness... I've owned pretty much all of them and this harness continues to do it all andis extremely comfortable to wear. 

Exo 3500 pack- by far the best purchase I've made on gear.
Therma-rest X-therm sleeping pad- love how warm it is and it packs down so light and small
Kuiu super down 15 degree sleeping bag
And for the price...I'm a big fan of the Cabelas Alaknak wall tents

Havalon Piranta. I was a little late to that game, always been a Benchmade guy and I love their hunt series but I don't use them very often now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back