Best Pack for Hauling Quarters

I like my Wilderness Pack Specialties compact frame...works great and its lightweight.

Attachments

• Bikeout2.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 192
I love my Eberlestock J104- that thing has been hammered and abused with heavy loads, but still holding strong!!

I agree that the Eberlestock can take abuse.  I have used the J34 for years and it is still going strong.  Love how it butterfly's open and can hold two elk quarters. Haven't tried the Tenzing pack yet but it looks like a winner as well.

I like the MR platform with load sling for packing.  It is tough to beat just a good ol pack frame though... Just depends on what kind of situation i'm going to be in i guess.

I've used several different methods in the past from the external metal packframe, to internal frames on packs such as Badlands, Blacks Creek etc.  If I'm close to the truck I prefer a metal external frame... But if I'm bivy hunting I'll make due with what I have as my pack at the time.  Just got a new Tenzing TZ5000 and I'm pumped to get out and put that thing to the test!  Honestly one of the best packs I've put my hands on.

this past season I used an L.L.bean hunters carryall pack. I packed out my cow and helped carry out 2-bulls If someone is on a tight budget this is a great pack for $80.00

i use a kelty external frame with my day pack strapped to it if we are hunting from the truck. But if im bivy hunting then i will make due on the first trip out with my backpacking
pack which is a 5300ci rei pack. Id love to get an ebelestockSitka or badlands pack but at this point with 3 kids under 5 im lucky i get to go at all!

I am intrigued by the Kifaru Bikini frame coming out today in that it has so many options to "accessorize" it with.  I now have an appreciation for why my wife loves all that jewelry.

I use the Cabelas Alaskan external pack frame which I mostly like for meat packing.  I do have the pack that goes with it and it is OK but probably heavier than most.  So it does work well on shorter pack in trips however I'd not recommend it for extended distances as overall I believe it weighs like 12-13 lbs.  Meat pack part of it though it great and has a relatively good amount of adjustments for the more budget minded person.

Dana Designs Terraframe Longbed.  The pack is a load monster.  I also tested out a new Stone Glacier Terminus this year and for a sub 4 lb pack it handled a 90 lb. quarter well.

10554_435818453136567_248252968_n_zpsa97fe630.jpg

I think the pack has to fit the person. Most packs will work. Me personally I was fortunate enough to purchase the Mystery Ranch Longbow with the King Cab attachment. Awesome set up! Enough room to bivy hunt for four days and still pack out meat.
Good Luck and Shoot Straight!

One of the best packs for me to haul out quarters w/ bone is the BullPac.  Light, bombproof and comfortable.  Had it for years and is often what I bring up on the return trip for serious hauling.

Attachments

• BullPac Frame
    31.1 KB · Views: 144
I agree with RockyMoutainHi, BullPac is the best. I've bought and sold a few frame packs and have tried a few others from friends. Won't be selling my BullPac anytime soon.

You've got to have a pack that fits. I started with an old miltary pack board that I put a waist belt on and new shoulder pads. I switched to a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab. I love the pack. It fits my short and wide torso and doesn't sway at all when climbing over/under blowdown. Super tough. Only down side is it is heavy. around 8 lbs empty.

Attachments

• resizeIMG_1222.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 1
I've used the Badland Freighter Frame (same frame that is on the Ox, without the bag though)...It has served me well and will handle anything you can carry.  The foam molding is extremely comfortable and there are many adjustment straps to make sure you get the weight where you want it.  Lastly, it has a couple of large pockets on each side, so you can carry a pistol back in or water/ food.  It is actuallyfairly light for a pack frame (around 3 lbs.)

I have heard very good things about the Mystery Ranch line-up, though have not tried them myself.  I've hauled alot of game out with my 2200 and must say, still find it comfortable, especially for the first trip out. 

Kifaru Timberline 1, KU5200, and the KU3700 have all been getting a lot of work lately.....I do prefer to debone though.

Haven't gotten a chance to haul elk with it yet but I love my Mystery Ranch nice frame.  I have a crew cab bag and they also offer a load sling so you can carry any size and shape load and it can handle any amount of weight you can throw at it

I've hauled with the same Kelty Cache hauler, that is actually my go to pack if I need to get back to the truck and dump and re-supply. I have also hauled with Sitka, Badlands, Kifaru, and a host of "odds and ends". Kifaru is my primary along with the Kelty.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back