Bow poundage

Chad44

Jan 25, 2013
I am wondering if everyone shoots as much poundage as they can pull? I can pull a lot but when I'm shooting 3D or targets around the house I get sick of having to pull a sunk in arrow. I'm thinking its not a great idea to have it set differently for hunting

I've shot 60lbs ever since I've been shooting a bow never had any trouble with penetration very easy to pull I don't have to point my arrow in the air then struggle to pull the bow back to full draw I just point at my target draw then zero in and let it fly with minimal movement 

I shoot right around 68-70 and am able to shoot for an hour or so with no problems but I also shoot 20-30 min a day 3-5 days a week maybe more closer to the season. If you get tired when shooting for an hour or while out shooting a 3d range for the day then you shoul probably lower the weight a bit.

I'm considering turning mine down for 3d as I get tired after 20 shots or so.  I take breaks every ten shots or so to keep from tiring

I get tired of pulling arrows out that are deep in the targets. Turning my bow down makes it easier to pull out.

I went from 60 to 70 and it is definitely harder to pull for a long time but it has really helped my accuracy because it shoots so much flatter. Especially when I do not know the yardage ;) I just have to shoot more often so I do not get tired shooting it.

I get worried about my shoulder so only pull what is comfortable. I don't worry about pulling peak weight, I just want to shoot consistently.

I shoot 66 lbs.  Not sure why, just set it at 66 one day when I was about 16 and shot it ever since on every bow I've owned. 

I shoot right at 63 lbs.  It feels comfortable, I can hold for long periods of time, and with my setup it tunes the best at that speed.  I made the mistake last year of thinking I could get some stiffer arrows, but I had to crank my bow up to 70 lbs, which was just too uncomfortable for me.  The lighter the weight for me the more accurate I get, which for me is more important than speed.  At my current weight it is plenty of penetration. 

Every person is diff ,I have mine set at 75 but I shoot longer distance than many,General rule is what ever you shoot you should be able to hold it at draw for 3 min so you can be at draw and ready for when that elk steps into the shooting lane.

I like my turned up to 70. The adjustment was hard the first few shooting sessions but got better after my muscles got used to it. I like the 3 min rule turbo talked about. Even after a long shoot at the range, when I get home I sit down and come to full draw while practicing some cow calls and essentially do a burn out with how long I can hold it paying attention to the time. Not sure if its the best idea but it seems to help.

I have my bow set around 62#, it is very comfortable to draw under almost any condition. even after sitting motionless for 2 hours in cold weather with stiff muscles

I still got a pass thru at 30 yards on my elk this year.

I shoot for a certain amount of KE. I have a short draw length, and try to overcome it with a higher poundage....

I generally shoot my bow with limbs dead nutted because of maximum efficiency with current setup that is 69 lbs. but my next bow will have 60 lbs limbs. With all the technology now I see no need for more. Arrow speed and Ke can be achieved with ease with my draw length.

I shoot 74, but I notice that it is more the type of arrow rather than poundage that causing a rough removal.

Stealth1id said:
I generally shoot my bow with limbs dead nutted because of maximum efficiency with current setup that is 69 lbs. but my next bow will have 60 lbs limbs. With all the technology now I see no need for more. Arrow speed and Ke can be achieved with ease with my draw length.

I feel the same way as Stealth does. I just put a set of 60 lb limbs on my Monster and dropped 40 grains in arrow weight and am still shooting the same as if it were at 70 lbs. I have roughly 75 ftlbs of KE which should be plenty for big game in the lower 48.

Check out this site to roughly figure  out your speed and KE
http://www.backcountrybowhunting.com/articles/calc/

I shoot 66 pound on my compound because I don't want to have the extra movement it takes to pull a over poundage bow.  Will allow me to hold longer and aim more completely.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back