Bow poundage

I bowfish most of the summer with an Oneida Screaming Eagle set to 68lbs. During tournaments it is not uncommon to draw and shoot over 100 times in 6-8 hours. I find this to be one way to keep my back muscles in shape. My hunting bow stays at 71lbs all year long.

My bow is set at 63. I really like it there because I can draw from any position laying down, on my knees, sitting, standing, crouched. And I can hold it for a long time without getting tired. In my opinion its not the poundage that kills the animal its the shot placement. So shoot whatever feels most comfortable to you.

I'm pulling 80 lbs.  But I can shoot all day and hold full draw for 5 minutes, so I don't feel like its to heavy.  I did notice a slight increase in the sound produced by my bow when I moved from 70 to 80 lbs, which seems like an unfortunate but logical side effect.

I'm at 72 lbs and can pull and hold it fine. With an elk sized animal I'd just assume shoot as heavy and fast a set up as possible.

Most bows are plenty fast at lower poundage now.  I want to be able to shoot in december in after hours in a tree without a problem.  So now at 60 lbs. I'm shooting better than I ever did at 70lbs.

70.8 lbs for me. yeah #60 can get it done but with these new bows pulling 70 is like pulling the older #60ers. why not pull as much as you comfortably can? I shoot 70.8 for 3d, hunting, and my bowfishing bow is about #74. key is to just keep shooting.

I shoot 66 with a28.5 draw with a Easton FMJ 400 arrow which is slightly under spined i shoot that setup because it's easy to draw i can shoot it for hours at a time and todays bows produce more with less poundage . If i had a short draw length say 25 ,26 ,inchs i would shoot more weight .

wapiti_will said:
I'm pulling 80 lbs.  But I can shoot all day and hold full draw for 5 minutes, so I don't feel like its to heavy.  I did notice a slight increase in the sound produced by my bow when I moved from 70 to 80 lbs, which seems like an unfortunate but logical side effect.

80lbs for 5 minutes? You must be a stud....................

dplumlee12 said:
Dang!  3 min.  I have a long way to go!  I don't think I could hold the bow alone up for 3 min.
give it a try not as hard as you think,It is actually hard to hold your bow out just in one hand,infact very few people can do that.but when you have it at draw your arm is locked and being held up by the pull on the string.And ghost yes 5 min is pushing the limit for most but keep in mind at 80 pound draw your only holding 20 lbs.

ghost said:
wapiti_will said:
I'm pulling 80 lbs.  But I can shoot all day and hold full draw for 5 minutes, so I don'tfeel like its to heavy.  I did notice a slight increase in the sound produced by my bow when I moved from 70 to 80 lbs, which seems like an unfortunate but logical side effect.

80lbs for 5 minutes? You must be a stud....................

i've been blessed with genes from a family of big corn fed ranchers.  i like hard work and it helps me keep my "old man strength".

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back