Bowstring Wax

RockyMountainHi

Dec 28, 2012
Is there any reason to use one type of bowstring wax over another?  I have never heard what makes one brand any better than any other.  Thanks for your input.

never heard if it makes a difference of using one over another just how important it is to use it as often as possible especially when shooting a lot.

I don't think it makes a difference. I have used a few different kinds. Protecting the string and cables to give it longer life is the key. As long as you clean off the excess on the string and cables I think any of them would work. There are a few I would like to try out, but we'll see. Right now the tube I have had for 5 years will last me another 5.

Kmbingham92 said:
never heard if it makes a difference of using one over another just how important it is to use it as often as possible especially when shooting a lot.
I think he nailed it on the head. i would add make sure you use it correctly as in working it into the string/cables.

I don't see much difference in wax, though I will always wax my string before I go out.  In the past my string use to fray easily because I didn't keep it waxed properly.  Now I keep it waxed and my string lasts a little longer too.

I've always kept the string and cables waxed pretty good but what are some tricks you guys are using to remove excess? I guess I've been neglecting that part of the process.

lavacrawler said:
I've always kept the string and cables waxed pretty good but what are some tricks you guys are using to remove excess? I guess I've been neglecting that part of the process.

I've never removed excess.  always applied it very liberally (i think your supposed to) and rub up and down with thumb and index.  warms it up so it spreads out and works it into the string.  i always have a lot of wax on the string and cables.

I do the same thing as Mountain Bowhunter.
Try applying as much as it needs with a little more. Usually can work the wax around enough to not have clumps on it......usually a nice glossy finish. Although im not sure if there is the right amount or not.

I usually have an excessive amount.  Sometime so much that I will notice that it looks like my string has a chunk takin out of it, but then I realize it is just a low spot in the wax and i can rub it and even it out.  I don't think there is such a thing as too much wax.

I have a small square of leather that I use to rub in the wax. That way it can get nice and warm and also keeps it from being messy. And no excess bits.

So, how often to you  wax during the off season when you are not shooting and your bow is just sitting in its case. I noticed that it looks like it still get a little dry even when I do not shoot regularly?

Fullabull said:
So, how often to you  wax during the off season when you are not shooting and your bow is just sitting in its case. I noticed that it looks like it still get a little dry even when I do not shoot regularly?

My bow is usually out of the case because i try to shoot year round but if it was in the case the wax should last.  If it looks dry just rub some wax on it.  No such thing as too much wax

I wax about once a month or more often. Plus anytime it gets wet, as soon as it is dry again I wax.

I never thought about it, I bought my current tube years ago, it will probably last several more years. I keep them smooth, when I see a filament, I wax it.

Jimbow65 said:
I never thought about it, I bought my current tube years ago, it will probably last several more years. I keep them smooth, when I see a filament, I wax it.

yeah i've had my tube of beeswax for years.  even used some of it for a few handlebar mustaches ;D

I guess I should probably was mine more then I do. I don't shoot a lot during this time of year so I don't think about it but just the dry air could cause is to need wax.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back