Broadheads

wyoelk300+

Apr 16, 2013
I've used the Whack-em 125gr for the last three years and am thinking about a change.  Has anyone tried the Toxic from Flying Arrow Archery? It'd be a switch to 100gr but that wouldn't tweak my set up too badly.  Thanks in advance.

Try 100 grn magnum Slick Tricks. I switched to those last year and will not shoot anything else. Very accurate and my bull last year was dead in seconds, with a blood trail that looked like I dumped a five gallon bucket of blood.

QAD Exodus Full Blade are deadly, they leave massive wound channels.  Slick Tricks are outstanding as well.

kikinhorse said:
Try 100 grn magnum Slick Tricks. I switched to those last year and will not shoot anything else. Very accurate and my bull last year was dead in seconds, with a blood trail that looked like I dumped a five gallon bucket of blood.

Same here! Shot a whitetail with them last year, the blood trail was massive!

A buddy of mine shot the Toxics last year for whitetails and didn't have much luck with them for whatever reason. As for the slick tricks, I shot the Grizz Trick II last year for elk and got horrible penetration. I believe it was due to the steep blade angle and large cutting diameter, but maybe it was just me. I do like the looks of the Standards and the Magnums though.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I have had good luck with the Ramcats. I have used them for two years now. I have got one elk and two deer with them. One of my sons has got two elk with them.

i like Rage but a guy gave me a pack of ravens to try out im looking forward to seeing how they work

cowboystl1 said:
i like Rage but a guy gave me a pack of ravens to try out im looking forward to seeing how they work
Have you tried the Rage on elk yet?

My last two bulls I used grim reapers 1 3/8" razor cuts. Great penetration and wound channels. Watched em drop!

No my last elk hunt was a wash out we didnt even see one, and elk I know they are heavier than white tails those i have ran plenty of rages through and never saw one go to far and left a trail a blind person can fallow

About 5 years ago I had a bad experience with a 3 bladed rage. I personally wont use them on elk again.

Check out a single bevel Broadhead from AlaskaBowhuntingsupply/Grizzly Stik, they have 3 different models and all weights plus heavier ones for better FOC. They also have a lot of information on Why everyone should only use single bevel broadheads for hunting ( Dr. Ed Ashby ), I would also recommend watching their success video with Full Draw Freaks the Elk shot @ 05:40, watch the elks face just WOW!!!!!!!!!! & not even a pass thru. what more could you ask for. Just my opinion on the Broadhead subject. I would NEVER trust a Mechanical Broadhead in a hunting situation.

camosteve4colorado said:
Check out a single bevel Broadhead from AlaskaBowhuntingsupply/Grizzly Stik, they have 3 different models and all weights plus heavier ones for better FOC. They also have a lot of information on Why everyone should only use single bevel broadheads for hunting ( Dr. Ed Ashby ), I would also recommend watching their success video with Full Draw Freaks the Elk shot @ 05:40, watch the elks face just WOW!!!!!!!!!! & not even a pass thru. what more could you ask for. Just my opinion on the Broadhead subject. I would NEVER trust a Mechanical Broadhead in a hunting situation.

nice vids love how the hunters are all high dollar camoed out, but the guides are wearing jeans or walmart camo 

That is the best part of all videos any more the hunters spend more time and cash on getting top $$$ gear while the guides just spend time finding and learning the quarry, also look the hunters they have no packs to carry meat out or concern about the meat they just worry about the size of the rack and barley seem excited about their harvest but that is a different subject........ I won't hi jack this post, I still say single bevel broadheads are the best option for hunting Big Game Animals regardless if your DIY or being guided. Just my opinion from research by Dr. Ed Ashby. check it out and see what you think.

I shoot trophy taker shuttle t-locks black ops 100gr.  I punched through a bulls shoulder last year at 30 yards and he died within 20 yards. 

Again I am not saying you can't kill elk or deer with other Broadheads, I am just saying read some interesting information from someone with an unbiased opinion who has years of experience in the field with every broadhead on the market and make up your own mind, I have only been archery hunting 2 years for Turkey & 1 Year for elk, I chose to do some research and found Dr. Ed Ashbys reports to be the most informative and NON Sponsored information out there. From what I have read I would not trust or rely on any other type of broadhead but I am also one of those people that when things can go WRONG they DO, In my family we call it the Miranda Luck..... again not trying to argue or start an argument, just trying to get some great information out to more people so they can an informative decision. Good Luck with your decision ;)

I have also been looking into something similar.  I really like the solid broadheads that can be found at http://solid-broadheads.com/why-solid.php.  These are also guaranteed for life.  From all the research that I have been doing, the only downside that people have said with these broadheads is the price.  Everything else seems to be great and I think these are the ones that I will be investing in.

I have used, Montec's, Shuttle T's, Montec's CS, and Strikers. Each have their advantages and disadvantages. They all fly well, some are very tough but not sharp, others are sharp but not as tough.

This year I'm giving a new broadhead a try. I just ordered Solid Broadheads 100 grains and will be doing some testing of my own with them. IF the perform well, I will put them on my arrows this fall. They are scary sharp and appear to be very tough as well. Another broadhead that has caught my eye is the Steel Force PhatHead. I have heard a lot of good comments on them from close friends. A good friend has shot 17 animals with the PhatHead without loosing any of them. Great blood trails and short tracking jobs. 

Used Slicks, Montecs, Muzzy, until switching to Ulmer Edge mechs.  All killed elk very well.  I had trouble with penetration on Grizz Trick. I had no blood trails on Montec. I had trouble tuning my Muzzys.  Eliminated all those issues with Ulmers. I still get a little nervous looking at a mech at the end of my arrow, but the results have been amazing. (Elk dead in seconds with 2 holes) I shoot 80 KE (450 gr arrow at 285fps) tho so I think I could even go to a 1.75 inch cut.
Advice for people looking at mechs Heavy arrow, rear deploy, and watch those steep blade angles like rage hypodermic.  Broke 3 out of 3 Hypos on 1 whitetail doe this past season. Terrible. Killed it but wow. I would use Rage KE or the new SS without reservation tho.  My .02 on 9 bulls killed last 9 years with 4 different bh's.

I've been shooting the Ulmers also they are great if you shoot a fast bow but Im gonna give the solids a try this year I like a cut on contact.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back