Bugle for a first time caller

arg1574

Sep 9, 2017
I?m hunting the rut for the first time this fall.  I?m looking for advice on a bugle. Ive never used a call before, so I?m looking for something ?forgiving?. Do I go with a diaphragm with tube or one of the tubes with a built in diaphragm? Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I much prefer using a diaphragm and tube over the ones with it built in.
I am able to sound different than the guys who have the same sounding one.

It's also easier for me to transition from cow calling into bugles or vice versa!

Diaphram.  Generally you can tell when its a human with one of the snap-on reeds bugling. 

Diaphragm. I got a few this year and have been working on it in the car during commutes. There are many YouTube videos that show the basics. Rocky Jacobson has a great one.  Just think of it as an instrument that takes practice but can be a lot of fun.  I think it helps to get me in the mindset of talking like an elk as well rather than just bugling my ass off.

If you want something forgiving but doesn't sound as realistic or unique, go with the tube with built-in diaphragm. If you want to sound the best you can and are willing to put in some practice, use a diaphragm and separate bugle tube.

I've tried the "select-a-bull" bugle system from Rocky Mountain Game Calls and it actually sounds pretty good. However, for me, there's no replacement for the classic diaphragm and separate bugle tube. You can make pretty much any elk sound with a diaphragm and tube. With the built-in version, you're pretty much limited to contact bugles.

As sweetroll mentioned, practicing in the car while commuting works great. You can bugle your head off and nobody can hear you.

Thanks everybody for the input. I guess I?ll get myself a diaphragm and tube and start practicing.

No doubt, if you know how to use one, a diaphragm is the way to go. But some guys just can't use one and it does take some time to learn. So if you encounter problems you might try the E.L.K. Inc. Power Bugle.

X2 for the E.L.K. Power bugle with the external mouthpiece for those learning to bugle.
Be sure to get some extra white bands

WW and cnelk thanks for the input. I?ll make that my plan b if I can?t get a handle on the diaphragm call.

Wyo67 said:
Diaphram.  Generally you can tell when its a human with one of the snap-on reeds bugling.

Definitely agree on the diaphragm but wanted to give an important tip. Be careful of not checking out calls under the assumption that it is another hunter. I have heard some of the worst calls come from elk themselves. AND I can't count the times my partner told me he heard me calling from a distance so he left the area...only to find out that I was miles in a different direction!

i ran the select A bull tube by rocky mtn calls for a long time, till i broke down and learned the diaphragm..  i gag to easy so i was a wussy and strayed away  glad i stuck with it finally      that select a bull tho was a hell of a call      diaphragm from now on tho    you have enough time between now and your hunt to figure out that diaphragm!! good luck 

I'd start by buying 2-3 from Rocky Mountain Game calls, Phelps and maybe another top brand.  I like Rocky Mountain and Phelps myself the best.  Corey's Contender call was easy for my cousin to learn on with zero experience, fairly forgiving.  Myself the contender was easy to run the gamut of sounds in a calling sequence and had the bulls and cows super interested last year.  Not a bad starting point for sure.  If you want a tube, you could always look into a tube with a slip over reed that you can remove and use with a diaphragm as well so you could really get the feel for both and be able to figure out which one works for you.  Even if you get the "built in" reed into a tube, whatever you feel confident with will make you that much more successful, at least thats my opinion.  Remember to put emotion into it, don't just take a sound for a sound.  Make it count.

Kdkehoe said:
I'd start by buying 2-3 from Rocky Mountain Game calls, Phelps and maybe another top brand.  I like Rocky Mountain and Phelps myself the best.  Corey's Contender call was easy for my cousin to learn on with zero experience, fairly forgiving.  Myself the contender was easy to run the gamut of sounds in a calling sequence and had the bulls and cows super interested last year.  Not a bad starting point for sure.  If you want a tube, you could always look into a tube with a slip over reed that you can remove and use with a diaphragm as well so you could really get the feel for both and be able to figure out which one works for you.  Even if you get the "built in" reed into a tube, whatever you feel confident with will make you that much more successful, at least thats my opinion.  Remember to put emotion into it, don't just take a sound for a sound.  Make it count.
Thanks for the input

thanks.

i'm taking notes.  i am gonna buy several and start practicing.

diaphram and the other one.

I learned to call with the AMP series by Phelps and a Rocky mountain game calls bugle tube. Lots of time spent in the car bugling out the glass! lol

A little update for you guys. I got myself a few different types of diaphragms and a tube from Rocky Mountain Game calls. After a few short practice sessions, I?m starting make some actual elk-like sounds. Corey Jacobson?s Contender seems to be the easiest to control. Still working on the high notes, but it?s coming along. Watching Rocky Jacobsen?s how-to videos on YouTube helped quite a bit too. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Good luck this season.

First time caller here too. 

I have a set of the Rocky Mountain diaphragms and the Bully Bull tube from them too.

It's kinda tough at first.  The first 2 days it was difficult to bugle.  I could make sounds but it was tiring!  Like when you get a pork chop between your teeth.  My mouth was worn out. 

After a week, I'm a LOT better.  Still need a LOT of practice but MUCH better and it is now very easy to bugle instead of wearing me out. 

I bought the Select-a-Bull from Rocky Mountain as insurance in case I couldn't get the diaphragms to work for me.  It is not nearly as good sounding as I am after just a week.  It is very easy to make sounds that kind of sound like an elk...but not a lot like an elk.  Some people may be able to use it...not me and right now I don't want to invest time in practicing with it since the diaphragms are working for me.

I will say that if you want to buy the Select-a-Bull from Rocky Mountain, you CAN use it with diaphragms and do not need to get a separate tube like the Bully Bull.  The mouthpiece with the built in diaphragm comes right off and you can use the Select-A-Bull just like any other tube.  No need to buy a $38 Bully Bull and a $50 Select-A-Bull.  Both tubes work with diaphragms. 

arg1574 said:
A little update for you guys. I got myself a few different types of diaphragms and a tube from Rocky Mountain Game calls. After a few short practice sessions, I?m starting make some actual elk-like sounds. Corey Jacobson?s Contender seems to be the easiest to control. Still working on the high notes, but it?s coming along. Watching Rocky Jacobsen?s how-to videos on YouTube helped quite a bit too. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Good luck this season.

Once you learn a diaphragm there is nothing better. Good Luck to you too this season! ;D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back