Bugle Report

Sickforit23

Jul 25, 2016
Heading to Montana tomorrow. How's the rut activity out there for those of you that are hunting? Bugles?

Good luck all!

So far this season, it has been super quiet and dead.  Haven't had a season this quiet since 2012.  But....when they turn on it will be unreal.  And it should turn on during your time here.  Good luck!

She's starting to heat up. Has been quite for the most part, bulls are starting to get with the program though!

Perfect! Hopefully we get lucky and hear a few out there. I'll update on what we're hearing as well.

Good luck!

The heat is on here in Northern NM Fellas! Night before last (10th) I was in a rut that went nuts! We have our best acorn crop in years. Could shovel them up. Bears, Elk and deer looking very well fed. Good luck guys and happy hunting!

Can't wait to hear them in Wyoming on Oct. 1st....hopefully!!!  Good luck everyone!

Only moo cows talking in Wieser Unit 32A... it?s a grind! not what I thought my first Archery Elk season would sound like!

Bumping this back up for anyone who has been out lately. Any bugles? I heard from a buddy that the rutting action has been in full swing near west central Colorado, regardless of the rifle season taking place. The thought was that the extremely warm days of September pushed things back a bit. I have a hard time believing that, but figured I'd see if anyone else has witnessed that. Anyone?

I received a similar report from Utah. Bulls screaming and seeming to still be in full rut 4 days ago

I was out this weekend and man the Rut is in full swing. I had bulls bugling in every drainage from the moment I got to camp Friday night until I left Sunday mid day.

I got my cow Sunday morning, and got to within bow range on some massive bulls. This weekend was a dream. I am definitely going to be dreaming about this for a long time, and hope to one day experience that again with a bow in my hand and a Bull tag.

Elk Noob said:
I was out this weekend and man the Rut is in full swing. I had bulls bugling in every drainage from the moment I got to camp Friday night until I left Sunday mid day.

I got my cow Sunday morning, and got to within bow range on some massive bulls. This weekend was a dream. I am definitely going to be dreaming about this for a long time, and hope to one day experience that again with a bow in my hand and a Bull tag.

Congrats on punching your tag! What state were you in? Where I was at in Colorado it didn?t appear that the rut was still in full swing, so just curious.

I would be hesitant to say the rut is in full swing in mid-October.  I was in central Wyoming (area 7 - public land) this past week and yes, bulls were bugling and yes, cows were very vocal, but they were also all herded up in a large 200+ herd of elk.  There were no bulls sniffing cows or any other indication of rutting activity such as bulls sparing or running other bulls off. 

I suppose it's possible that there may have been a couple cows that were not bred in September and went into estrus again and may have caused all that excitement, but what I saw was typical herd behavior traveling to and from food/water to bedding areas.  We also saw several bulls already off in their bachelor or loner groups throughout the week.  I think if they were rutting, I wouldn't have seen the 10 or so monster bulls all in the same herd.  Of course, all I had was a cow tag... LOL

I do agree, but the area that I was in the Bulls were absolutely rutting. I saw her bulls chasing off smaller bulls and annoying cows etc.

I did also see some more general herd behavior, but it really seemed like they were still heavily rutting, at least a lot more than I had seen during the Archery season.

I?m in Alberta and had two bulls bugleing on October 23rd! Always fun to be in the woods with these animals.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back