Bulls That Wont Come Out To Play

tylergardner

Mar 23, 2018
This past weekend I was working a public land bull down in the bottom of a drainage. He had zero problem bugling back and forth for about an hour. As we worked worked our way down to him (basically within 150 yards of where I thought he was), keeping the wind in our face (it was perfect). He would not show himself and eventually shut up. What would cause a seemingly fired up bull to not want to play, or to shut up once we got into his bedroom? Eventually the wind became shifty and I backed out before he could wind me, put him to bed and came back the next morning with the same results, same bull, same scenario.

Thoughts?

My experience is if you bugle your way into them, they clam up the last 300 yards.  Locate, go in stealth mode, until you think are in his 120 yard bubble.  THEN try to bring him in.  Give him a reason to come check you out!

montanaelk31 said:
My experience is if you bugle your way into them, they clam up the last 300 yards.  Locate, go in stealth mode, until you think are in his 120 yard bubble.  THEN try to bring him in.  Give him a reason to come check you out!

Thanks for the tip, we try again this weekend, hopefully 5 days closer to the equinox gets them hot and bothered.

I have found that a lot of young bulls fit that scenario too. They are feeling their oats but when the heat gets closer, they opt out. Making noise but not up for the fight.
I have had more luck with them getting in closer and raking rather than screaming at them, especially early. If they are still wanting to hang out with the boys, they will come in....but generally silent.
I would recommend locating, moving in and try cow calling and raking.
On the first five days of my hunt, out of 12 bulls we called in, all but 2 came in silent.
Remember, just because they shut up, doesn't mean they are not coming in.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back