Calling... did it work or are elk just passing through?

Behindthehunter

Jun 14, 2019
Last year we were hunting CO pre rut, opening weekend archery to be exact. Heard maybe 1 or 2 bugles, unlikely another hunter,  but we did set up in good sign areas and called, a mix a cow calling and bugling. We called about every 20 - 30 minutes at times. We had a few elk come through our general area, 1 time is was a pair of cows, one time it was 2 satellite bulls. Definitely not right after our calls and their body language told me they weren?t really looking for what was making the noise. My question is, is it more likely that these elk were just passing through and we happened to see them or were they responding to our calling? If we called when we could see them they became alert and nervous often worked away from our calling.

I know there are a lot of variables here, but for the most part we played our cards right, well hidden, good wind, caller set up away from the shooter, etc.

any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like they were just passing through.  There have been plenty of times we've called to elk we could see and they would just ignore us.  Opening weekend, it's hard to believe they are already call shy.  You talk about setting up in your general area.  Don't hesitate to be mobile.  Go find the elk that will respond.  Travel the area at night listening and using locator bulges to find out where they are.

Well, if you were hunting opening weekend that was August 25th. Id say good chance the elk were passing thu

I can honestly say, after last year, I wont ever hunt elk in August ever again.

Especially if I have a unfilled pronghorn tag

cnelk said:
Well, if you were hunting opening weekend that was August 25th. Id say good chance the elk were passing thu

I can honestly say, after last year, I wont ever hunt elk in August ever again.

Especially if I have a unfilled pronghorn tag
It?s definitely different hunting that early, the lack of bugling and their responses to the calls (or lack there of.)

But we filled 2 out of 4 tags and took shot at another. We are heading back for opening weekend again this year, that being said, it?s nearly a full week later this year. So hopefully we get better responses from the calls and hear some bulls bugling.

Can?t say I?d disagree with you if you have an unfilled pronghorn tag in your pocket though!

Wyo67 said:
Sounds like they were just passing through.  There have been plenty of times we've called to elk we could see and they would just ignore us.  Opening weekend, it's hard to believe they are already call shy.  You talk about setting up in your general area.  Don't hesitate to be mobile.  Go find the elk that will respond.  Travel the area at night listening and using locator bulges to find out where they are.
We will definitely move more this year. If we run into a similar situation.

How do you decide on when to move and when to stay if there is no bugling? I?m always afraid to push animals out of area if we find good sign.

I used to take the last full week of September off for hunting but I have had much better luck early the last several years.

A couple years ago I went into an area the last weekend of August to pull a camera I had on a wallow and there were two bulls bugling above me the whole time I was in that basin and it was around noon. They were in a known bedding area and I don't know if they were rutting or calling from bed or what. I pulled my camera and got out of there before I spooked anything.

As for when to move it depends on what your seeing if it's me. If I know elk are there but they're not talking I will stick around for a while. I generally don't change areas unless there are no elk around or I move them out of the area. I hunt public land that can be full of elk or completely void of them so as long as I know where elk are I generally stick to that area.

Behindthehunter said:
Wyo67 said:
We will definitely move more this year. If we run into a similar situation.

How do you decide on when to move and when to stay if there is no bugling? I?m always afraid to push animals out of area if we find good sign.

We've been hunting the same WY resident OTC areas (waiting on the draw tomorrow.....), for the past several years and have had good success.  So if we're not having success in one of our old spots, we'll give it a couple days and then move on to another.  We may not completely pack up camp, but we'll hop in the truck early one morning and move to another area and spend a day there.  There are few factors:
- Hunting pressure
- Elk sign (fresh/old/sightings/previous experience in the area)
- Weather (fronts moving in/or expected). Strong winds seems to keep them quiet and minimizes their movement.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back