Votes: 16 27.1%
  • Sitka Optifade

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • Realtree AP

Votes: 3 5.1%

• Total voters

RockyMountainHi

Dec 28, 2012
Not trying to start a range war (or maybe I am ;D ), but what is your preferred camo pattern for Western elk hunting?  I find I want something that works as well with the sagebrush as it does in the dark timber.  My all time favorite is ASAT, but can't get all of the items I want in that pattern.  I have had deer and elk within 3 yards of me in that pattern and didn't spook until they winded me  Thus, I mix & match, trying to find the pattern that breaks up my silhouette the best.

So, what's in your closet?

It depends on the terrain I'm hunting in, but I like sage or brush patterns like Max-1 and Mossy Oak Brush. Of course, there are a lot of other great patterns out there like Cabela's Seclusion 3D Sage pattern, Sitka, and Kuiu. Whatever breaks up my outline and works best is what I'll use.
Many times hunters pick camo based on the visual appeal to them, rather than thinking about what the terrain and how elk or deer see images, which is black and white. There are a few companies out there that have done a lot of research on the science behind camouflage patterns and it's interesting to read about the science rather than the human appeal.

I agree with mulecrazed. The sitka pattern is awesome for the open country but, but for the oregon timber and brush, the predator camo in spring green is awesome, and not to expensive either. If i could get the asat materia in the predator pattern, that would be my pick.

I think the optifade open country matches the high desert terrain here in nevada.  I have been using mossy oak and always thought it was a little off here. 

I like the Kuiu patterns, asat, and predator. The patterns that break up the outline more tend to work better for me than trying to blend in.

Wearing Sitka optifade last fall I had several encounters where bulls saw me at close range and didn't spook.  Not sure if it was the camo or that the bulls were in full rut and didn't care!  Either way, the comfort of the Sitka gear sold me on their product and that is what I'll be wearing for the next several years.

Bulldown

Its so brushy where I hunt it really doesnt matter IMO. Pretty much mossy oak or whatever I have in my under armour. Its camo, not pink  ;D

Mossy Oak and Realtree have both worked well for me in the field. The trick is to not get winded in the area I hunt because the cover is sparse and I'm dealing with a lot of open spaces.

I like using ASAT in warmer weather due to limited clothing options for that pattern. In cooler weather I like to use Scentlok Vertigo tan- seems to break out my outline good and provide a layer of scent blocking which is always a plus.

I believe any lighter color camo is ten time better than a darker pattern. Even in dark timber  lighter camo blends better and looks natural. Darker patterns tend to look like a dark blob.
I primarily stalk when I hunt and my success definitely improved when I switched to a lighter color camo.  Used to wear NatGear exclusively, but now I'm a Sitka fan.

Both Predator Green and Brown Deception. I like the way the open pattern breaks the human outline.
KJ

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back