Colorado 2019 Big Game Regs - Online

Colorado is just catching up with Arizona and Utah. You have to purchase a hunting license to apply for tags or points.
I?d quite elk hunting if I were you 😉

jstephens61, that's exactly what I'm doing - last CO elk hunt this fall and unless I draw a once in a lifetime elk tag in OK then I'm done.  Maybe in retirement if something presented itself would pique my interest but shifting focus to whitetails.

I pay WY approx. $130 a year for Elk, Deer, and Antelope.
This will equate about the same for all three species... I'll pay to play for now.....

That is until they change it again!  :upthumb:

Keep in mind that the CPW has full ability to make changes to prices on an annual basis now. This year the primary rate hike was for residents. Don't be surprised if prices continue to be bumped each year moving forward.

The crazy thing is the CPW actually considered doing the preference point fee for all species this year instead of just moose, sheep, and goat ($50 resident, $100 non resident). Imagine how that would have gone over!

cohunter14 said:
Keep in mind that the CPW has full ability to make changes to prices on an annual basis now. This year the primary rate hike was for residents. Don't be surprised if prices continue to be bumped each year moving forward.

The crazy thing is the CPW actually considered doing the preference point fee for all species this year instead of just moose, sheep, and goat ($50 resident, $100 non resident). Imagine how that would have gone over!

If it ever gets too wild I'll just cash in on points no matter where I am at that year.
I'm heavier on deer points right now than I am elk.

DTP said:
Just got my antelope, elk, and deer..... $118
That?s not bad. I normally only get elk points but might as well get deer and lope the way it is now.

jvanhoy said:
DTP said:
Just got my antelope, elk, and deer..... $118
That?s not bad. I normally only get elk points but might as well get deer and lope the way it is now.

Last year they were $3 per species I believe.
This year it's $9.

I'd definitely add the deer, I am gambling with the antelope part I think.
I know CO isn't typically a highly sought after speed goat area. I just want the points so I can tie them in with another elk or deer hunt!

DTP said:
I know CO isn't typically a highly sought after speed goat area. I just want the points so I can tie them in with another elk or deer hunt!

Yep, don't even bother with antelope in Colorado. Waste of time if you ask me! :shh:  :dk:

I agree 100% Derek.  Don't ask me Dan because I don't know where to go either. 

Attachments

• antelope euro.jpg
    650.1 KB · Views: 4
Tecumseh said:
I just saw this morning that NR have to either purchase a spring turkey license for $151.75 or a small game license for $81.75 in order to apply for the big game draw! What a bunch of BS!! Figure in the $9.00 application fee you?re out 90.75 just to apply.

If you just want a preference point for elk you have to buy the qualifying license which is the turkey or small game. So it is pretty much paying $90.00 for a point. For non-residents the final cost for an elk tag is around $760.00......That's a pretty big jump in one year from the $661.00 last year. Nice going Colorado!

Correct me if I?m wrong, but for those folks who just want to hunt OTC in Colorado, I don?t think you have to buy the qualifying license. I think that might be only if you apply for a point or a tag?

cohunter14 said:
Correct me if I?m wrong, but for those folks who just want to hunt OTC in Colorado, I don?t think you have to buy the qualifying license. I think that might be only if you apply for a point or a tag?

This is correct ^^^

Also,
When you apply, if you have your 'qualifying license' in your checkout CART, you can then go back and proceed with your applications.

No need to do 2 separate purchases

Since they dropped the application process last year down to a $10 for non-resident and $7 for resident, I am betting they had a ton of applicants wanting to get just preference points. This will cause the entire point system to go crazy and getting picked will jump the required points to the roof. I had even asked last year about having a choice of getting the fishing license or small game license when buying non-resident elk tag. I think I now see why that option was not considered. Forcing you to purchase a "qualifying License" for small game will hopefully reduce the number of "point collectors" in the long run. I may be way off but just trying to make sense of this. The small game is $80, so I would rather of had a choice to purchase a bear tag that has been dropped to $100. Not much on giving choices in Colorado. Maybe that will change again?

From my understanding, there won't be any changes to this in the next year. Basically this is there way of forcing people to pay a preference point fee. They can call it what they want, but that's essentially what it is. It's a way for them to make more money and also reduce the number of folks who apply for preference points. If they kept last year's system in tact, it would have gotten silly.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back