DIY Hunts

It's nice to have peolpe to split the cost and the drive with me. This year it may be a solo trip out west for me. Having a hard time getting people to commit so early in the year.

The tag is costing me the most cause with four of us gas prices will not be as much of an issue.

my cost the last 3 years is aprox. 1500 a year includes tags,food and fuel this year will be more expensiveI lost both tents base camp and spike camp to snow last year.
Hey bucky if you bought a real truck you would get better mileage I get 18 almost 19 miles to the gallon last year. :)

I'm scared to add it up, even worse I'm afraid the wife will add it up and won't let me do it anymore.  I just tell my wife you can't put a price on getting your family healthy, organic meat!

+1 on that Elkmandan!!  A couple of my hunting partners have young families and are shorter on greenbacks than I am.  Every year I sell off a few quality items to them really cheap as I upgrade.  I also typically spring for the gas money and drive my truck.  I figure I'd be going with or without them and if they had to pay for half the gas, they probably wouldn't be able to go.  Counting the days folks!

Two years ago I shot a cow while I was on call at a hospital out of my deer stand.  So all said and done I probably spent a gallon of gas, two bags of ice, and had to buy a couple foam coolers at Walmart till I could make it home.  So all said and done I got called a couple times that after noon, so I netted about $100.  Doubt that will happen again!

Man I feel for u guys from back east.  For what it's worth u serve as a great baseline for those of us living in the west.  I bring up ur situations for the sake of comparison when my wife hassles me for hunting an hour and a half from the house :) .  Living in southern oregon does have its advantages in sept.

no lie i try to budget 2500 max including tag and gas food those are the big three if i can get by with less i do if not 2500 is my topper for now 

$500 for a ten day trip here in Oregon :)
I did spend about $600 total last year, but I also did hunt about 30 miles from home half the time...

I set my budget at $1000 and that includes tags, gas and upgrades for the year.  I hunt 4 hours from home and all the big gear (tent, camo, pack) was bought over the last couple years.

your lucky to be so close im lucky to get away with a 1000 on my off western hunt year just white tail and turkey seem to put me over that not counting predator and fishing squirrel rabbit and anything else i can shoot catch or eat. maybe i should budget better lol

Whoa, I'm afraid to do the math on that. Last year was our first time Elk hunting. So there were some big ticket items to buy, binos, boots, a new bow. A scouting trip to go with our hunting trip, Ohio to CO, so lots of gas. Tags, calls, maps, fancy camo, food, hotels ... 

All that on top of a real bad fishing habit. I live just 15 miles from Lake Erie. 

I might need an intervention. I see why the Jone's are getting ahead of me. Spoiled Sportsman

Like the commercial, 2weeks in the CO mountains backpacking and hunting with my 26 year old son was priceless. He is hooked.

This year Wyoming. So more scouting and fuel. Not so much buying of gear.

Good Luck to all both drawing and hunting.

I only hunt NM now, and usually within an hours drive or so of home.  8)
That said, gas eats most of the hunt costs. Even my Tacoma will go thru half a tank a day ,at least. One of the spots I go is only 35mi away,but it's 75mi bumpy dirt rd drive,one way.  If I'm hunting in NF I stay basecamping out of my truck. Or a days pack in.

I have not been out West but working on a Colorado 2015 trip. I have budgeted about $2500 for food, fuel, license, hotel, and any misc unexpected expenses during travel. I would hope to do it for less than that but will not go over that.
I am fortunate enough that some of my coworkers are willing to loan me equipment for the trip.

kpatterson said:
I have not been out West but working on a Colorado 2015 trip. I have budgeted about $2500 for food, fuel, license, hotel, and any misc unexpected expenses during travel. I would hope to do it for less than that but will not go over that.
I am fortunate enough that some of my coworkers are willing to loan me equipment forthe trip.

where are you coming from that might be a tough budget

This year's trip out to Colorado will be the biggest we've done. We have a party of 7 hunters coming out with us this year. Thats now two trucks and two trailers to get everyones gear out west for our 10 day hunt. Sept. can't come fast enough for us! 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back