Do you change tactics when it rains?

Alder

Jan 2, 2013
Seems like every year we have a few days of pretty strong rains here in Oregon. Do you change tactics for finding elk when its raining real hard?

I've never really seem to see elk when its raining. Right after it stops, we seem to find them in every opening. We might make some short hunts in the rain, but usualy stay dry in camp.

I usually head to the first clearing i can find and sit there and wait for the elk to show up.  Ive hunted Oregon for the past 10 years and the rain there has never kept me from hunting hard. Just got to be persistent in any weather.

Depends on where I am and how intense the storm is.  If getting wet means sleeping wet or waking up to put on wet clothes it's usually a "take shelter" moment to wait it out.  If I've got line of sight on elk, it's a different matter altogether because in my experience the rain has a sound dampening (at least concealing) quality as it falls against the ground, as well as softening the otherwise dry grasses and leaves that can spoil your approach.  For me it's a scenario to scenario thing.  I do have to say walking around searching for elk in the rain is not my favorite though.

We hunt hard when it rains.  Seems like the elk are very vocal in our area when it's raining.  Shot my last bull in a down pour and he came in on a string to my cow call.  Buddy of mine snuck in on his bull while it was raining.  The ground is very soft and quiet making for easy stalking.

If we went back to camp when it rained we'd miss more than half the hunt.

I often wait the rain out and head out as soon as it stops. The elk dont like the trees dripping on them anymore than we do.

Depends if I have no idea where the elk are I take shelter....but if I have an idea where they are is is super quite for stalking

I'll always hunt in the rain, unless it's a torrential downpour.  The ground is way quieter (good)  - the amount of deadfall in the areas I hunt make it tough to hunt when it's corn-cob dry.  I've had some of my best action right at the moment when rainfall lets up.
...but I make sure I'm WAY more careful with the wind at this time.  Everything emits stronger odors when it's wet, including humans.  Think of how a wet dog smells...we aren't any better, and I'm sure the elk notice it.

We try to stay dry. I would rather wait out a storm than get sick or blisters from getting my feet wet and ruin the rest of the trip. If it rains all day we will take a short hunt, or we will go glass sitting under the trees. But like someone else said, after the rain stops the elk will come out to play.

I keep the same tactics in light rain. When it's putting it down I will usually hunker down under a tree till it stops and that's when the action seems to heat up.  Seems like the animals come out to play and the rain has made the ground super quite for stalking.

HuntinKyhl said:
We hunt hard when it rains.  Seems like the elk are very vocal in our area when it's raining.  Shot my last bull in a down pour and he came in on a string to my cow call.  Buddy of mine snuck in on his bull while it was raining.  The ground is very soft and quiet making for easy stalking.

If we went back to camp when it rained we'd miss more than half the hunt.

X10

The way I see it, the elk are still out there while it's raining and I should be too.  Besides if i had decided to wait out the rain last year, I would not have hunted even a single day.  I was soaking wet for the entore two weeks that I hunted.  The elk were active during the entire time so it must not have bothered them too much.  The elk can only stay out of the storm for so long before they have to get out and eat.

idelkslayer said:
The way I see it, the elk are still out there while it's raining and I should be too.  Besidesif i had decided to wait out the rain last year, I would not have hunted even a single day.  I was soaking wet for the entore two weeks that I hunted.  The elk were active during the entire time so it must not have bothered them too much.  The elk can only stay out of the storm for so long before they have to get out and eat.

Besides, that's what good rain gear is for right?

Last year I would of been happy to have some rain. It sprinkled the last day of the season and that was it.

One thing I did forget to mention is that my experience has been elk run up into the hills when a big rain storm hits.  I've hunted the high country for days with little success and had a good weather system come in and make the hills quite a circus.  So if you're concentrating down on the plains and a weather system comes through maybe head up into the drainages leading into the foothills to the mountains.  Then head perpendicular into the bowls where the elk will be seeking cover and often times continuing their rut activity.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back