Do you process your own meat?

jspencer

Sep 25, 2014
It's a family affair and we do all the processing ourselves.  Burger, steaks, roast & some jerky.  If we want pepperoni we may take it in and have it done, but we do the majority of it. 

One thing we do is before we vacuum seal it we put the seasoning in with the meat.  Vacuum seal it and then when it comes time to prepare it, we let the meat thaw to room temperature to let it marinade then cook it.

Burger, for hamburger meat we mix in the bacon ends and pieces (the kids love this), anything else gets some 60/40 or 70/30 chub mixed with it to give it a little fat.

Has always been a family event. I remember labeling packages before I knew how to cut and wrap when I was little, now my kids are going through the same stages. We used to take our sausage bits in to get processed, but with all of the DIY mix/cure kits out there we've been able to handle everything ourselves for the past couple of years. We also like to include friends when they have critters needing processed. The more hands the better.

Sure do, just started grinding our own burger last couple years and want to start making some ground sausage and brats sometime. But its nice to know how the meat has been processed and taken care of instead of just dropping it off and not knowing what your getting..

Wife and I always process our own game animals.

Steaks, ground hamburger with 1/3 % fat added, and some sausage.

Nothing like a freezer full of fresh game meat.

I put myself through a crash course in processing when I started hunting on my own. At that time I was in military and I was scrounging up money for gas and processors in Texas at that time we're proud of their skills. Now days the kids join in and help out with everything but cutting. When the kids were little they loved it when daddy made the worms come out of the machine (grinder). I haven't paid a processor in 18-20 years and I enjoy the whole process.

I've always done steaks, roasts and burger and then take trim meat in for sausage and other things that I don't like to do on my own.  I'd go broke as a butcher as I do it rather meticulously and trim out all non-meat items but I think it makes for a better tasting meat.

I've always processed my own meat and pride myself on how good it tastes.  Likes others have said, I can take time to do it right but well worth it in my opinion.  I've been doing mostly steaks, roasts, and burger but am hoping to jump into sausage making this year.  Thinking maybe ground Italian sausage and brats/polish sausages.

We do it all the way down to grinding the burger and sausage.  Bought a vacuum sealer a couple of years ago and it helps too.  Had a bad experience 10 or so years ago with some burger I had made by a processor.  Vowed to never let anyone do my meat for me again.  We have been pleased with our decision since then.

I have always had a butcher do it.  If I had enough room to do it myself I'm sure i would give it a try.

I got my first deer last year and my dad-in-law (very experienced hunter) and I processed the whole thing. It tasted great! Now we have a grinder attachment for our kitchen aid so I'm pumped to get something this year.

We were very careful to cut all the silver skin off. Not gamey tasting at all!

-Steve

Yes, even built my own 8X6 walk in cooler last year.  Have a complete butchering area set up in my shop. 

Cut everything into steaks, what I can't make a steak out of I wrap and freeze and then thaw out about 10 pounds at a time to make jerky.  Two items that have turned my jerky from average to awesome. 
138212.jpg
weston-32-manual-meat-grinders-pragotrade-popup.jpg

Nothing expensive required here! The grinders and vacuum sealers are nice, but you can get it done with some freezer paper, masking tape and a knife n sharpener. Maybe some time on youtube/google to get a idea of what to do, and anyone could  be their own butcher.

When I have time to keep the meat cool, yes. If I need to cool down the meat and dont have the time I will take it in. That was the case last year. I even learned a few new cuts after talking with a butcher. We typically make brats, ring sausage and summer sausage. Once in a while we will make jerky but I typically take it in. I dont make it the best. Home made smoke house sure helps. We will have at least 4 familys helping and making their own so it gets to be a long day. We will vacuum seal ours but I have heard that freezer paper is better for long term packaging. I have had some seals break in the freezer from adding and mixing it around throughout the year, it has been a concern of mine.

Attachments

• Resampled_2013-11-29_17-01-41_240.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Resampled_2013-11-30_12-09-11_774.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Resampled_2013-11-30_12-48-40_601.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 0
Few more.

Attachments

• Resampled_2013-11-30_16-45-15_716.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Resampled_2013-12-01_00-02-19_925.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Resampled_2013-11-30_09-15-03_551.jpg
    Resampled_2013-11-30_09-15-03_551.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 0
Great idea about putting the spices on before you freezer seal! I try to do it myself but my job dictates a lot. If I have time I do it, if not, it goes to a butcher!

we process everything even burger and sausage. Once in a while we will take in burger meat and have the butcher do it but it really depends on time.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back