Do you use attractants to your cams?

sumnerhorses

Dec 29, 2012
Just curious if you all use attractants to bring the elk to your cameras, and if so, what do you use? I have only used salt and an apple if I find one on the way to the camera that day. It seem so just slow them down if they are walking by, not really attract them to come out of their way. My biggest success is just setting up where their trails cross.

I choose not to use attractants, but don't have a problem with guys that do.  I want to see what the elk are naturally doing.  If my "lure" runs out because I couldn't get out to keep it up the elk probably won't be there either.  I think bowhuntin_360 has a great tactic.  Watering holes are natural "attractants" and are great places to get not only elk pics but other animals as well.

I like to use the standard mineral blocks that you get at the feed store.  I put them near water where they are coming anyways...more than anything I use them just to "sweeten the pot" and to add to the nutrition of the animals visiting the water.
I guess it's kind of like adding extra salt/butter to the popcorn at a movie theater...you know the people are gonna be that much more likely to buy a drink too ;-)

I use attractants only when i setup in new area just to see what animals are holding in the area. Usually i just setup my cams on trail by feeding area to try and get an idea of when the elk and deer use the area. For attractants i either use the small mineral salt blocks or if it it closer to an access area i use sweet mix cattle feed. The elk and deer seem to like the sweet mix alot.

I will if my state allows it. Something I need to look into real soon.  Anyone know if its ok to use attractants in Idaho?

I used vanilla extract once and the elk liked it. The picture in the trail camera / scouting "Say cheese" was taken with having an empty bottle of vanilla right under the camera. I know that had to be why she was so close to the camera.

Trophy Rock has made checking trail cams a blast.  I went from a few pictures to hundreds of pictures.  We have had a blast naming the different bulls and bucks frequenting our cameras.  Once they find it they just keep coming back. 
That being said, using attractants is all ok until the hunt opener.  They can then be considered bait and that is a no bueno.  Check with your state regulations.

I set up a salt lick four years ago, I put my cam on it every year about august, but by mid september elk do not need the salt like they do all summer so there is very few elk around into hunting season, but it does help me pattern them for elk season and getting thousands of pictures in august shows me the quality of animals around the area

Just curious what everyone was using. I use mineral salt, grain not block. I also use chicken scratch, but the deer came to that more than the elk. The elk seemed to like apples the best. I use it mainly to see whats there, never really hunt too close to my cameras for some reason.

Salt has been my main go to attractant.....here in Northeast Oregon I can about promise if you get it out early spring you will get pics....of course area helps..lol.

I have tried the fancy acorn, apple, and cain salt....no luck....plain white or the red(mineral added).....they love it.....4lb blocks are simple to pack and will last a good couple weeks even with hard hit. 

Now this is great for pic taking but the need slows way before August rolls around and then it is all hit and miss...mainly miss....they will come in but it is far and few between.

This year I am changing things up and moving my cams to non baited areas....just good trails and escape routes.....

Here is  pic of a some elk enjoying the salt.....

SUNP0267.jpg

trophy rock i have one cam on it and others i put on trails trophy rock last longer than anything i have ever used

I buy an $8 50lb bag of Redmond mineral salt from IFA and will use a gallon at a time.  I just take a funnel and put it in a empty milk jug and throw it in my pack.  It will keep the elk and deer coming back for months.  One camera that we set out had 2000+ pictures over the last 2 weeks.  Mostly cows, calves, and deer but probably half a dozen bulls showed up on it.  Also one bear.  Redmond is the company that makes the trophy rock.

Here are some pics from a cam I put out 7/11 with 50 lbs. of salt. By 7/18 it had over 2500 pics on it. The cows and calves stayed for 9 hours.

Attachments

• 6x6.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 6x6 & 6x5.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 2
  • cows & calves.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 1
  • mule buck.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 2
I use a mineral rock infront of my trail cams here in Idaho. I asked a couple differant wardens about using the salt or mineral rocks. They say if its not during season and your not hunting over them than your ok.
Also, I found that the mineral rock in Zamzows is identical to the "trophy rock" sold in Cabelas and its 8 bucks cheaper! 

I use a product called deer brick lick made by Mad Buck.  It is a mineral lick that has a scent cell that comes in apple, berry, acorn or peanut butter.  I was doubtful about using one, but decided to try it anyway.  I set one out on 6/27 and set up my camera.  Two weeks later had 1600 pictures.  Swapped out new SD card and came back 2 weeks later again and another 3150 pictures.  After going through all the pictures (All pics had either deer or elk on them).  I used the apple scent one and the deer and elk would not leave it alone.  I have some pics with 10 cows and calves all taking turns licking it.  I bought a few more for next year.  You can get it on Amazon for under $10 bucks a brick and depending on the game using it can last anywhere from two weeks to longer.  If you have it in a high traffic area it might need to be replaced every two weeks or sooner.  You can see a few pictures in video from my trail camera on the products Amazon page that my cousin posted.

http://www.amazon.com/Mad-Buck-Innovations-Brick-Acorn/dp/B00IJBYXGO/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1408382517&sr=1-2&keywords=mad+buck

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back