Educating the ones that just do not get it.

kikinhorse

Jan 23, 2013
Was hunting a ridge with 3 to 4 bulls bugling. We couldn't get on them before the thermals switched so we went a long ways away to wait for them to switch. We were just going to start heading that way, when it finally switched, and what do we hear but a flutty human bugle right under the bulls with the wind going into the bulls faces. Just have to say I was so angry. We ran into the two and gave them a little hint about wind and why they haven't seen any elk. Funny cause after they left we got on top of the elk snuck in and I killed one. They would not talk though they knew hunters were there....

It does suck, and I battled it time and time again last season, worst than ever before as I moved and had to hunt a very heavily pressured piece of public land, but there's one thing to keep in mind when it happens - those guys will rarely, very rarely, kill anything. I know it may sound greedy, but I'd rather be one of the 5% of the guys that kill 95% elk and leave the rest to do their thing. Sure it'll drive you nuts from time to time, but it would probably hurt your area if everyone out there was a killing machine. All a guy can do is just keep trucking, and sooner or later it tends to come together.

For me, a total change of tactics was the trick that made the difference - not that it helped me find the elk any better - I knew where they were generally hanging out, but it helped me be into the herd before the flute blowers made it into the area in the morning.

I don't like it anymore than anybody else does. Unfortunately, I think at one time or another we have all been that guy. I would say, swallow hard and if you have the chance like you did give them hints as to what maybe they should be trying instead of what they are doing. Then wish them luck and tell them that you will hunt in a different area as to not "mess" their hunt up.

When I run into problems like this I just try to get to a vantage point and watch. A lot of times people will bust animlas out of an area without even knowing there were elk there. During archery season the elk don't seem to be as nervous and won't run to far. So I will just wait a second and then move in quiet. This happened last year. I saw a whole bunch of elk come running into the canyon I was sitting it glassing. They ran about 100 yards down the hill and then stopped and started feeding. I snuck down to where they were and got to within 50 yards and couldn't get a shot when I think my wind changed and they walked away from me. They went into a big opening and I never did have a chance, but if you are patient after someone else's mistake it can often lead to your success.

That is one of the tough things about public land. Its gonna happen. In the area i used to hunt, if there was elk near you, you better go after it because garuntee you someone else is on them as well

It happens, I always run into people who have no clue that are elk nearby, they'l tell you they haven't seen or heard anything all morning/day. They move on and we keep hunting the area we know holds elk. We may not see one that day but we know they are there and we eventually get into them.

Those guys probably had not idea elk were in the area and were just running around calling hoping something would respond. If those bulls had responded to them, maybe they would have moved to avoid the thermals. We all mess up at times.

Where we hunt, there are usually so many folks around we call in other hunters all the time. But it's a lot more fun when the real elk respond and come in :)

I try and use the wind and thermals as much as possible. I carry a small bottle of talc powder for checking the wind. As much as the mountain winds change and move, it is difficult to always stay down wind. Same with hunting whitetail deer, that's the reason tree stands are so favorable, but not as easy to use on elk.

I was hunting with one of the "Denver boys" up high on the mountain and we decided to give a three (spaced) young bull squeals around noon. Didn't get a response and moved on. Later that evening at camp we were comparing notes and my friend said he heard a young bull calling up high around noon. He climbed to the top to do some cow calling but no response....When we started laughing he immediately knew...sorry man, you needed the exercise.

We started at the bottom of a large ridge line just before light,  went in bugling had a small real herd talking with us so we set up.  Put 2 shooters up and pulled pack the caller.  Some water head from the top of the ridge line with his " Wizzard hat bugle " joined in the hunt.  He called all the way down to the bottom with the wind at his back and we called him in right to us.  The look on his face was almost worth the opportunity we lost.  Almost

I quit trying to educate some people,instead I use there ignorance to my advantage.I know my area well enough that 9 out of 10 times I can predict what direction they will take off and where the will go to.so plain on other peoples mistakes and use it.

Thats the thing about hunting in areas with weekend hunters.  They just see it on the tv and think that it is easy so they are out there screwing everyone elses chances up.  But with that being said they can also push the elk to you.

I've certainly screwed-up many times and still do every year.  Hunters have to learn somehow, and most often through mistakes. 

Do what can and then resort to one of my favorite lines.  "if I have to explain it you wouldn't understand."  If you try and they listen then they willbe better, if they don't thier loss!  But like has been said earlier, everybody has to learn somehow.

see it every year,  Sometimes you have to hunt the hunter and not the game, meaning let them do your work if you can

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back