Elk hunt or Tropic vacation

beastnatch

Jan 2, 2013
If your wife asks this type of question, what's your answer?

It's a coin toss for me, but I'd still go deer hunting and probably save 1 elk preference point.  :p

My wife has asked me a very similar question. I am going to guess I answered wrong when I said Elk Hunt because she got a pretty screwed up look on her face and stopped talking to me. I am kidding about the latter, but I did answer elk hunt. I hate laying on a beach and drinking cocktails. If you combo that with some fishing and hiking maybe I could do it.

I just had this same predicament arise last year, I chose the vacation and scheduled a offshore fishing trip while there. I then placed a few bucks to the side for the hunt in 2013. Wife was happy and I was still able to some what satisfy my outdoor craving by doing the fishing- haha.

We, I should say I, do both. We spend a week each year together playing on ATV's in the mountains and I spend a week elk hunting and a week deer hunting. I am blessed with an understanding wife - I married up. ;)

Both here as well, but have to change the Tropic to something more enticing like Europe. They say happy wife happy life, which equates
to more days afield:)

Are you saying that it is an either/or proposition?  I would take the Tropics in February, but never in September.  My spouse is both understanding, and after 26 years together, well trained ;)

My lady just asked me the same thing today.. She said that we need to go on vacation instead of elk hunting.  Well I told her that we will do both and that it has to be well before elk season so i can accrue my Annual leave in time for the season.  Looks like we are doing both this year.

I have to agree with you on that. I make it a point to take the wife on her vacation, usually costa rica or some other spot that will also allow me to charter a day or so fishing while she does the spa deal. In exchange i have no issues when planning a hunt. But I also have an advantage of workin a month on and a month off overseas so can find the time to give her the summer while I get the fall. just have to work the rotation schedule out  ;D
ghost said:
Both. Got to keep the Mrs. happy to do all I do.

I'd do both when I can afford it. If I had to choose one over the other, I'd probably pick the tropics so I can save my preference point and hunt a better unit in my next hunt. I'll have to pull out a fishing trip next time I go tropics during the winter months.  :D

I only get limited vacation each year and last year was Elk hunt year, I think this year is Family vacation year. I'm trying for Rocky Mountain National Park. we will see, My wife and girls dont like bears, mountain lions,  wolves. even if they are none, or not a threat.

both but make sure she knows it and when on her make sure you spoil her that way shell love you more and be more likely to let you have a little more for your hunt!

Ha Ha, My wife would get pissed if I said Tropic vacation  ! Im so lucky!! She hunts harder than most dudes I know  :p

I was just presented with that question but not tropical. The wife wants to go to Ireland and I thought hmmm... Red Stag, I was quickly told this would be a non hunting vacation. Don't get me wrong she loves going west with me but just wants something different. So I've worked it out, next May we will go to Ireland and that gives me enough time to get back and be on the mountain in August for opening day in Colorado.  8)
KJ

Really?? You are going to ask this? The only reason why I would give up Elk camp would be to go to Moose camp in Alaska! Maybe I would give it up if I pulled a special permit like Sheep or Goat! I guess I'm lucky! My lovely bride didn't take up hunting for my addiction; she chases me with a camera so she can come to camp!!  Don’t get me wrong!  I bend too!!

So I just read this question to my wife. Her response was "I would never ask you that question, because I already know the answer!"

She knows I hate the hot weather... ;D

If it came down to tropic vacation in September you'd never sell me.  my wife wanted to get married in September too and I politely told her it was a deal breaker because it would be conflict every year when i wasn't home for our anniversary.  Until elk move south and grow in number my fall vacation is in the hills.  (what a sight that would be though.)

I also had this same question last year.  We went on a cruise and it was over the opener of the Oregon Bow Season.  I kept my mouth shut and had my week off for the last week of the season.  Just need to play the dates to the hunting advantage.  Try taking the trip first so they are happier when you leave for hunting.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back