elk in their beds

coloelko

Jul 19, 2013
I think this may already be a topic on here but I thought I'd start a new one to get some new opinions.

What do you guys feel about hunting elk in there bedding areas?

I have read that it totally ruins the area.that the elk will move to the next county if they are spooked out of their bed.
I have always been worried about this and never gone after them where they bed.

A herd of cows w/bull,I will bed them and watch from downwind observation spot. Sometimes a big satalite bull will be the target then. But I don't move in on a big herd.

Post rut bedded bulls are different story. But you only get one chance...or their gone from area.

love shooting elk in there beds,that is when I take most of my elk  , best time to sneak in on them and they will be back in the same area  the next day or latter that day if they leave at all, more than once I have had elk lay back down after shooting one and had them stand and watch as I gutted one out .During a snow or rain storm as even better time to sneak in on them while bedded .

This is pretty much all I do.
When I scout, I look for bedding areas adjacent to feed. I am all over them when they are bedded. All of the elk I've shot over the years have been shot between 11 am and 3 pm. Watch the wind and get after them. If u don't spook the lead cow they'll be back tomorrow

If you have the online subscription to Extreme Elk go to Spring 2012 and read Donnie's article on page 54 about bedding areas.

Hunting elk once they are cozy in their bedding area is my favorite "go to" tactic. Yes, it is risky as you may spook them out, but when it works it can be like magic!  :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back