Every pair of boots i buy wont last more then 2 year let alone 1.

what type to buy? i live in canada also might order this year though.

• crispi

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • scarpa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Schnee's

• Danner

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Salomon

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Kenetrek

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Lowa

• Zamberlan

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Muck

• other option

• Total voters
Feb 28, 2016
I'm looking for a new pair of uninsulated
110% waterproof
durable boot
purposely for September.
No pair of books has ever lasted me over a year the last 4 years, every year costs me $200 for boots, Ive tried mucks they don't fit my feet well, ive tried a # of cabela's types, recently tried irish setter they all wear out.
What do I have todo or what do I have to buy?

What do you mean by ?they wear out?? Do you wear them so much that the boots fall apart or are they just losing their waterproof effect?

I buy boots mid july, wear them around the yard for few weeks and get broke in before bow season starts. I wear the piss out of them not missing many days in September in the elk woods I put on prolly 200 kms last few Septembers in my boots, nothing lasts.

last resort spent $500+ on a pair but whats the difference?

Are you buying gore-tex or leather boots?

If you want 110% waterproof, that = rubber

Ive wore out my share of boots too, putting 100 miles in 10 days of elk hunting on them.

No way will I pay a lot for a disposable boot - as most seem to be anymore

I have switched to a full leather, un- insulated boot for hunting now. I treat them with Obenaufs regularly and have better luck with them lasting.

But, everyone's feet are different. Whats works for me, may not work for you

what brand do you use?

I used the gortex last year irish setter had a line, they ripped badly from getting snagged on whatever is on the ground. I paid I think $165 for them, CDN.

Here?s my experiences-
Danner- not waterproof after a while
Irish setter- complete boot failur after 1 season
Kenetrek- crazy waterproof but gave me horrible heel slip blisters on my narrow foot
Meindle- good for 1 season. Leaked season 2
Solomon- awesome early season boot after 2 years going strong
Crispi- so far so good after 

Hope this helps. No offense to none just my experience.  I have a very narrow foot

I bought a pair of leather Vasque boots this year and wore them throughout the bow season and through January guiding. I had used Merrill before and loved the fit and comfort, but they never survived one season. I was worried about wearing a leather boot in September, but the Vasque's were great . They are still waterproof and solid for another season.

The leather boots I use now are LaCrosse Adamas, but unfortunately they have discontinued that line

These are my requirements for a leather boot

8", full leather, non-insulated, decent tread - and its pretty tough to find these

I am now looking at Thorogood Boots for my next pair - like these
http://www.midwestboots.com/product/TH814-4269.html

That's crazy that you have had such bad luck with boots. I've never bought any of the super expensive boots before but mine have lasted a long time while putting on quite a few miles every summer and fall. I've had Rocky's, Columbia's, and am now using Under Armour's as my primary boot. The waterproofing on any boot, in my experience, doesn't hold up well at all. But I spray them before with waterproofing before the season and that seems to work for the entire time. In my experience, these boots last 4-5 years doing it this way and I would estimate that I easily put on 100 miles a year between scouting, hunting, and some work around the house. My Under Armour boots, even after putting them through four different hunts and a ton of miles last year, are still in great shape. At this point I would easily expect them to last for another three years.

One thought that popped into my head is the waterproofing you are using. Is there a chance that you are either using it too much which is causing the boots to fall apart or is there a chance that the brand you are using is causing the issue?

I bought a pair of Georgia boots. I probably wore them a dozen times and the soles fell off. Was told they couldn't be fixed and I no longer had the receipt and the place I had bought them had closed because the guy who owned it retired. So I was out $180 for boots I wore 12 times. I won't buy another pair.

Got my Kenetreks for $125 at a local banquet. I have a narrow foot and they come in B width. Just wore them hiking and break in, but so far, love them.

okay..

Danner.  you HAVE to buy the USA made ones.  that puts you right there in price with the others.

In Portland OR, i went to the Danner store.  the USA made boots are an entirely different animal. 

I'll assume you're rough on stuff or put in a decent amount of mileage. In other words, if you aren't getting a mile past your truck, there's probably no sense in recommending Kenetrek, Lowa, Crispi, Asolo, etc type boots. If you've bought ~$200 pair of boots every year for 4 years - I can assure you using that same cash could have bought you two pair of really great boots. I'm hard on equipment and look to top shelf gear when warranted, but obviously what works for me, might not work for you. I'll also mention that BlackOvis is very good about assisting you with boot selection AND returns so long as you aren't wearing the boots outdoors or returning them with odor. In other words, put on freshly laundered socks, don't remove tags from the boots, wear boots around the house - even up & down the stairs. Just don't sweat in them or scuff them up. Do it, then sleep on it, then do it again. If you do it early enough to return the boot if it doesn't fit, you should discover one to your liking for fit. Don't send me hate mail if you disagree with this practice, it was recommended to me by an employee there when I called to discuss boot fit issues I was having. As for durability, top brands should cover you, if not their warranty should. I'm trying a new boot (yet again) this month, and while I don't have sufficient mileage on them yet to know for sure, I'm very impressed so far. Keep at it and good luck!

The saying you get what you pay for rings true, especially in footwear.  That being said I am very particular and have to be on footwear due to foot issues and a surgery. 

I?ve had the best luck with Danner stitchdown style that are resolable, usually 80-90 for a vibram resole and just great and take care of the leather.

My other two go to brands are Schnee and Zamberlan. Both of which offer factory repair and resole on most their boots. 

Check the Zamberlain Vioz. The Zamberlan Lynx or Cougar (depending on ankle support preference) are AMAZING. I haven?t had any issues with these leather boots and they are waterproof to the point I stand in puddles and have no issues. BUT I treat the leather yearly on my hunting pair and 2-4 times a year with my hikers. I use Obernaufs.  It helps break in time as well and repels water so the leather isn?t super saturated adding water weight. 

Feel free to PM me and we can go through a variety of boots.  Like I said I?ve run the gamut  I?ve owned every name brand boot you can find at REI as well as factory direct brands.  My wife gives me guff because my boots out number her shoes 3-1.  I used to landscape for a living and so I?ve beat the hell out of my boots and have a good idea of what holds up, how to treat, how to repair certain boots in all conditions.  I work and live in Montana and have put some serious miles on my footwear!  Hope these suggestions help!

For September the Crispi Lapponia worked out great for me. Lightweight for a well constructed boot. It has decent flex but plenty of support where you need so was comfortable covering lots of miles. Its like a solomon boot on steroids. Will get another season out of these for sure. But like most things there is a trade off... if you want lightweight and comfortable you will lose a bit of durability compared to the 4+ pound boots that wear like a ski boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy a pair of Crispi boots and a set of gaiters. I have over 450 miles on mine between shed hunting and elk hunting. Expensive but they last and u will not believe the comfort especially if muck is on your list haha

I love the Salomon brand. Very durable and as noted above, they were still going strong. I have a pair that I used for hunting and fishing and backpacking. After year 4, I started using them every day on the farm as well as for those activities. 7 years now and they are finally about to give out. The vibrum Sole is very worn and the only trouble spot on the uppers is the crease where the big toe meets the foot.  Waterproofing gave out once I started using them daily on the farm.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back