Exo, Kuiu, or Kifaru??

Western-extremist

Aug 26, 2015
I know this is a question that can be answered differently by every person but what is it that absolutely sells it for you on each of these packs?

I've had the luxury of trying on all three. I ended up with a Stone Glacier Sky 5100.
All three of the packs you have listed are very nice. I liked the Exo the most of the three. The Kuiu was the least impressive. Good luck in your search.

For the EXO I love the weight practicality and ease of going from day pack to frame pack all in one.  It is the best do it all pack I've used.  Now experience with the others.

I've got an Exo and love everything about mine. I have handled and been able to try Kifaru and Kuiu a little bit but not extensively. The Kuiu belt didn't feel good at all too me. The foam seamed too hard and it had a tendency to ride up above my hips and squeeze my gut. The Kifaru Duplex belt is the most comfortable I've ever worn and if you read lots of reviews online they are well known for that. The thing I didn't like about the Kifaru was that the Duplex frame was simply too beefy for day hunting for me.

The Exo has a hip belt that mimics the Kifaru, it's ultra comfy, and it's a lighter weight pack that compresses awesome for day hunts. That's why I chose the Exo. Awesome hauling capabilities, but it also is a great lightweight daypack when you want.

Kifaru just came out with a new lighter weight Duplex frame that I've heard nothing but good things about. Very intriguing and probably worth a look if you're leaning Kifaru. Like I said though the Exo is my pack of choice and I've yet to regret it!  :D

those are great but found a deal on tenzing packs on wingsupply.com so had to go with my budget.

EXO is my vote. I have a couple buddies that have had Kuiu packs and did not like them once they put weight on them. Said they were very uncomfortable.

I don't have any experience with Kifaru...

My vote is EXO. They are light and tough.

I had a KUIU and broke it so will never trust them again (even though they say they've fixed the problem)

Haven't tried the Exo, but love the new Kuiu Icon Pro platform, my hunting partner and I are both using it. Versatile. Love the carbon fiber frame.

Have a Icon Pro. Have no complaints and it rides great. However heard nothing but great reviews about the others

HardLoadHunter said:
look at the Blacks Creek also 100% made in America (Caldwell Idaho)

I have the Blacks Creek Remedy 7 with the grip frame and love it.  Packed out a bull on the 31st with it and it was nice.  Love  that I can take the bag off and use it just as a frame for hauling out meat.

I own a Mystery Ranch & love the support & ability to haul heavy loads without discomfort.

They are moderately heavy in my opinion, but the offset in comfort verses weight is a huge plus factor.

Big topic!  I'll keep my response to a minimum or I'll find myself typing up a book...

For reference, I currently own a Kuiu Ultra 3000, Exo 3500, and previously owned a Mystery Ranch Longbow with NICE frame.

1. I loved the MR Longbow until I hiked in it for 30 miles.  I accepted that it was heavier than others, but the durability had me sold.  30 miles in this pack with only 35-40lbs in it was terrible.  It beat up my hips and I couldn't get it to ride right.  All that said, maybe my body just didn't fit the pack but either way, MR packs are heavy and the waist belt is not comfortable to wear.

2. I picked up an Exo pack and was blown away by how comfortable it was, how well designed it was, and for the size...how light it was.  It's not the lightest pack, but considering it's pretty much bullet proof and has 4500 cubic inches of space AND has a load shelf...it's pretty awesome.  I seriously love this pack.  It has everything I need and nothing I don't.

3.  Kuiu had a sale recently and I wanted an ultralight pack.  I picked up the Kuiu Ultra 3000 and have played around with it but have yet to do a hike.  I can't speak to how it rides over the course of a few miles but I will say that I loaded it up with all of my gear and it sat really nicely on my hips and shoulders.  Both the Kuiu and the Exo have the ability to take the pressure off of the shoulders which is incredible.  I have concerns about the durability of the Kuiu pack but we'll just have to see about that.

I have a review of the Exo pack up at www.bylandco.com

http://www.bylandco.com/bylandgearreviews/2015/11/22/exo-mountain-gear-3500

Great topic!

-Emory

I have used Kifaru for 5 years now after trying 4 or 5 cheaper brands.  The exo pack is a great pack but I haven't felt the need to switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kifaru bag do you use?  5 years is a long time to stick with the same bag so good on you!  What is it that is working so well?

Emory
www.bylandco.com

It really depends on what you want out of your pack. Tenzing makes the TZ2220 which was a GREAT daypack. However, as soon as I shot an elk, I had to limp out with a moderate load and get a bigger pack to haul any substantial meat. Since I liked to go fast and furious, I always went back to the two-pack system, but I always dreamed of finding a pack that would allow me to go fast and light AND pack a heavy load.

My disclaimer is that I have never used a Kifaru pack, but I have no doubt that they are quality packs.....heck, Aron Snyder uses them, so I know they are good. Outside of Kifaru, I have owned and used packs from Blacks Creek, Eberlestock, Badlands, Sitka, Kuiu, Mystery Ranch, Tenzing, Alps, and a few more I'm sure I've forgotten to mention. When I found the EXO 3500, it was the pack I'd been dreaming about for years.

It is light (4 pounds), compresses for easy day use, is comfortable and has a low profile when empty. It has the capacity (actually 4500 ci) to expand and carry enough gear for 5-7 days. The real beauty of it shines through when you load it up. I'm not talking about a guesstimate of 100+ pounds....I'm talking about true, half-an-elk, heavy loads. It has truly bridged the gap from daypack to load hauler, and shines in every category that is important to me.

For the way I hunt, there are only 2-3 other packs that I'd even put in the same category as my EXO pack.

Attachments

• corey resting on trekking poles 2 packout_Instagram.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 13. Corey_Packing1.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 6
I haven't used an exo but know many that have.  You can't go wrong.  That said my Kifaru nomad is the cats meow from day hunts to 14 day trips. It scales up and down like no other pack I have ever owned.  Previous experience with eberlestock, blacks creek, cabelas Alaskan frame, Gregory and kelty packs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back