EXO Mountain Pack

Rich Z

Dec 29, 2012
Has anyone tried the EXO Mountain Pack? I've been reading some reviews on it and am very intrigued to say the least. I like the looks of the 3500. I think it'd be a great day/bivy pack. Looking for positive and negative reviews so if anyone has any info please share.

Thanks

Rich

I used it this season and my only gripe was lack of pockets which is small.  I did a two part review which can be viewed at lifeasabowhunter.weebly.com. I didn't get the chance to load it for long distances but did put an 80 lb weight in it and it handled flawlessly.  Highly recommend it and with the accessories it will do everything you need from a day pack to extended to just a frame!  Best all around pack I have found and used.

Thanks MT. Everything I've read has been good so far. I think the 3500 is the route I'm going.

Have one now and have had it since early spring. haven't done any really heavy loads with mine yet but I've loved it in every way. Pockets are well placed and useful, lightweight and durable, and the most comfortable pack I've ever worn!
Highly recomend them to anyone looking for a premium pack!

With the market of packs available there are some great choices.  The EXO is my go to and is a complete do it all pack I need.

I've looked a long time for a pack that bridges day hunting and hauling a heavy load. At under 4 pounds, the EXO does that and more. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but it does everything I need a day pack AND a meat hauler to do, and it does it incredibly well.

I hauled 5 elk out with mine last fall, and while some of the loads weren't comfortable, they were as comfortable as half an elk on your back is going to get! :) My load in Oregon was just about as heavy as any load I've carried, so we kept it intact and weighed it at the butcher. It was 146 pounds. I have the new 2015 EXO 3500 this year, and can't wait to put it on my shoulders and get into the elk woods!

Attachments

• 13. Corey_Packing1.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 10
I have the 5500 and love it. One of the best packs I've owned to date (and I've had eberlestock, MR, KUIU, and badlands) It's light and simple

They are awesome packs! ..used a friends 3500 and immediately put in the order for one of this years packs. I went with the 5500 because it really does not feel bigger than the 3500 and gives me the added convenience of being able to pack more for longer high country hunts. I love my pack and cant wait to give the fabric a shade of red very soon!! Steve does an amazing job at responding to questions and communicating as well, which is even more reason i will stay with them.

Was going to email the boys at EXO as well, but figured you guys could chime in on my question too.  I'm currently working with the military on potentially updating some special ops packs.  They're currently utilized 6000 cu-in mystery ranch packs weighing in at 10 lbs 8 oz empty...so their biggest complaint is weight!  When I heard about this I immediately thought about an EXO 5500.  The only concern I have is the protection the pack provides against your back.  Sometimes these guys are running around with metal equipment cases that would create significant discomfort if the pack doesn't have adequate padding/solid plate against your back.  Any input would be appreciated.

I have packed out 2 deer with my 5500. Short trips so no real test.  Looking forward to abusing it in Idaho in 3 weeks. Loving the feel so far.  Oh. I did a 6.5 mile hike with it with 50#s and it rode great

I bought one last year and got the chance to pack an elk out with it and it was more comfortable than i could have hoped for.  It has plenty of organization for me and now with this years addition of the accessory pockets you can organize it even more if you need to.  Now i just need my dad to get one so that I dont have to do all of the heavy lifting :)

Haven't tried one yet but they look incredibly functional, especially for elk hunting which requires rapid ability of a pack to go from lightweight and tactical to durable and strong to get the meat out upon a success.  Id certainly own one if I didn't already have a pack in good condition.

I still plan on getting one of these packs ( I'm sure I'll probably win the one they are giving away... I can dream :)) would you go with the 3500 or the 5500? Will the 5500 compress down for day hunts?

Rich Z said:
I still plan on getting one of these packs ( I'm sure I'll probably win the one they are giving away... I can dreamwould you go with the 3500 or the 5500? Will the 5500 compress down for day hunts?

Rich, the 3500 is more than you will need. It is actually much larger than a 3500 if you count all of the space that is available for hauling game. Specs from EXO's site: (3500 ci bag and lid, 1000 ci exterior pockets, 2500 ci load shelf area)
[/size]
[font=helvetica neue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][/size]It will carry more weight in the 3500 than you will most likely be able to carry for long distances IMO. [/font]

Just got one and will give it a go this fall.  One complaint I have off the bat is the lack of airflow between your back and the shoulder harness.  I think it could easily be remedied by making the padding a bit thicker and creating some air vent slots in the webbing that connects the two pads together.
I really like the pockets it does have.  I think the x pac material is awesome and looks to be waterproof.  I also like the ease of unhooking the pack from the load shelf and then attaching things to the shelf.  I think they are onto to something with this pack for sure.  My only other concern is the thread being used for stitching.  As you adjust the shoulder straps up and down it comes in contact with some of the threads that are on the "adjustment ladder"  used for height adjustment.  The velcro is causing the threads to fray.  We will see with time how this holds up.  Will be fun to try it out this fall.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back