Factory Ammunition

cnelk

Mar 23, 2017
I went to the range last night to sight in my .270 for the upcoming deer hunt.
I typically reload my ammo but I don\'t have a set of 270 dies yet.

So I had a partial box of Federal 130gr and a full box of Winchester 130gr
(I just bought the Winchester box)

I commence to sight in with the Federal ammo using it up
Got it dialed in and I thought let\'s see what the difference is between the two manufactures.

Holy crap.
The Winchester bullets POI was 4in high and 6in right.
Well since I have availability of more Winchester ammo, I moved the POI and got it all set

I just wanted to share this bit of info as rifle season is just around the corner.
Don\'t mix brands of ammo.
I will be reloading the 270 very soon

Attachments

• image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 647
Dang Brad, that is pretty substantial! I have seen it happen before as well, just not quite that drastic.

wow!!

i have a beater 30.06 that is pretty friendly to ammo. i switch all the time. brands, weights..i usually just have to adjust elevation for the change in bullet weight. i love that rifle..boring, reliable.

i\'ve never had a big jump like you just experienced. how many groups did you fire?

\"elky McElkerson\" said:
how many groups did you fire?

Since I was using a rifle sled, I shot over ten - 2 shot groups.

The rifle is an old Winchester Model 70 - a real tack driver

Brad, I had similar results in my 7mm magnum. Browning A-Bolt II with BOSS muzzle break. Shooting Federal Premium boattail softpoints in 150 gr will group less than 1\" at 100 yards without a sled(bipod front/sandbag back). Tried some Remington Core Lokt 150 gr and they were all over the place. Granted, I did NOT try to adjust the BOSS to the Core Lokt.

Ruger M77 .30-06 does just the opposite. Core Lokt shoot GREAT but Federal Premium and Winchester didn\'t. Again, instead of messing with the scope, I just shoot the Core Lokt in the .06 - cheaper too!

I should clarify that both types of ammo shot great groups, they just werent the same POI.

I cant wait to work up a load by reloading

I shot the Federal Premium bullet\'s out of my 270 for year\'s. my a-bolt liked them the most out of all the factory ammo i shot. Now i just reload for it.

I shoot 130 gr WInchester Power Points, 130 gr Remington Core Lock and Remington Premium 130 gr Swift Scirocco in my .270 win Tikka Lite... They all group well and have pretty close POI\'s... I don\'t have to worry about any of um shootin\' deer size critters out to the range\'s (175 yards max) I have to shoot um...

On my way to start reloading for the 270
Picked up a set of dies for $24
And I bought 100 of SPEER 130gr Spitzer SPBT bullets.

Let us know what powder you use and how many grains. Show us the tight groups too.

Brad... I pulled a 270 bullet out of the shoulder of my bull this year. I found the jacket opened up and several fragments of lead. They were all in a white gristle chunk that I removed near the scapula.

I\'m not sure a 270 is legal in Co. I thought a 30 cal was minimum.

Sounds like you have ruled this out, but when shooting from a sled, or even off a bipod, these things are more likely to happen.

Final sight-in should be with the rifle shot as you would shoot in the field (i.e. off a bipod if you\'re going to use a bipod, or prone over a pack if you are going to shoot that way).

Amazing, though, isn\'t it, that there is such a big difference.

I typically use VARGET but since that is popular and hard to find, I picked up 4lbs of IMR 4064 that I will work up some loads.
Those 2 powers have similar characteristics and should burn well

A 24 cal is minimum in Colorado for big game

For sure I will post pics

My 30-06 loves everything poi hardly changes till i throw swift sciroccos down it....they go 4\" left and 3\" high....these are all reloads loaded with the same care :)

I couldn\'t imagine the info on the Internet. When I reloaded I was a kid wading thru books. My Nosler book was so tattered and tabbed. The most accurate load listed for the 06 was also my most accurate. Fun book!

I still use my manuals a lot but like mentioned the internet is also a great resource

Here are two sites that I found very helpful in reloading and shooting

<!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;\">http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"http://www.hornady.com/ballistics-resource/ballistics-calculator\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;\">http://www.hornady.com/ballistics-resou ... calculator</a><!-- m -->

Reloading is for guys like me who like to tinker. No two guns are alike so there is no such thing as the perfect manual. The books and info you find online are mearly guidelines you always start on the low side and slowly work your load up checking for signs of pressure for what your gun likes and can handle.

My reloading components for the 270 arrived.
I am now ready to head back to the range

Attachments

• image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 525
I do the same thing Brad. I do 5 by the book then .5 under and 1 under and .5 over and 1 over. I shoot the 5 shot groups of each and compare. I usually find the ones under to do better. Remember to let the barrel cool between each shot. I shoot one then leave the bolt open and wait a couple minutes between shots. I try this with a couple different powders. Nothing sweeter than dime size groups at 100 yards.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back