Frontal Shots on Elk

radmansciteach

Dec 12, 2012
Ok, I know this video has been circulating around cyber land...would you take this shot?? Sure worked out for this youngin'!

[youtube]http://youtu.be/wrWYuh_s1RQ[/youtube]

personally i would have to be in the situation my self to take this shot but i have always been told and it holds true so far. the idea is not to hit the elk,deer etc but to shoot through them aim for your exit not the entry. when i release my arrow my plan is to hit the heart and lungs with today's bows penetration isn't the big issue it used to be looks to me on this shot he was aiming heart and lung and got jugular and windpipe as a bonus. had his arrow continued its path it should have exited right behind the shoulder which is the best place for an exit in my book.

I agree with cowboystl1. If it was a 25 yard shot or under, I would very seriously consider taking the shot. The video proves it can be a lethal shot.

Kid was pretty confident in taking that shot, heard numerous stories about frontal shots and a majority of them came with horrible tracking and unsuccessful kills. Very good placement to get a nice bull.

I love this shot under the right situations. It's really no different than a broadside shot in the fact that you are trying to get your arrow into the vitals. Folks who can't hit a pie plate consistently at 30 yards shouldn't be taking a broadside shot at that distance. The target size on a frontal shot is smaller than that on a broadside shot, but it isn't the "grapefruit" everyone talks about.

The reason most people miss on frontal shots is because they aim too low, and hit on or below the brisket, or hit too far to the left or right. This causes the arrow to slide along the ribcage, and not actually get inside the body cavity. The arrow will often bury to the fletch, but never hit anything vital.

It's so important for hunters to study the anatomy of the game they are hunting, and to be confident in their shooting abilities, as well as their shot placement.

airmanharv08 said:
Kid was pretty confident in taking that shot, heard numerous stories about frontal shots and a majority of them came with horrible tracking and unsuccessful kills. Very good placement to get a nice bull.

that brisket shot can result in a tough track but most of those tough tracks are dead on shots and the blood will pool in the chest its a tough shot to pass his was more angled which for me is a no brainer shot for the exit behind the shoulder. Now that being said my cousin shot a white tail dead on in the brisket at dark with a rifle no exit wound three guys 45 minutes to find it in the dark it left no blood trail for 25 -30 yards i found a small piece of bone and then we fallowed the drops and i mean drops of blood for another 50 or more yards fallowing more tracks and turned over leaves than blood but the deer was recovered im not a huge fan of strait on shots but if there is a minute of angle and with the broad heads arrows and bows of today id take the same shot that kid did all day. especially that close if he was shooting my bow weight id bet he would have had almost pass through

lol or like buglelk said i didnt think about left or right low and not touching anything good call

I agree Corey! A man has to be proficient with his weapon of choice, we owe it to the game we pursue.  My fear with videos like this getting passed around Facebook and the internet is people who either HAVEN'T practiced with their bow much (i.e. a rifle hunter that decides a week before bow season, "Eh...what the hay, I'm going to try bow hunting out") OR doesn't know an elk's anatomy will haphazardly decide to take this shot.  20 yards and in, I'll consider it as it can be extremely effective. I'd much rather have em' broadside though! 

Is it me or does the arrow look like it deflects off a bone just after impact and ends up entering more straight on?

radmansciteach said:
I agree Corey! A man has to be proficient with his weapon of choice, we owe it to the game we pursue.  My fear with videos like this getting passed around Facebook and the internet is people who either HAVEN'T practiced with their bow much (i.e. a rifle hunter that decidesa week before bow season, "Eh...what the hay, I'm going to try bow hunting out") OR doesn't know an elk's anatomy will haphazardly decide to take this shot.  20 yards and in, I'll consider it as it can be extremely effective. I'd much rather have em' broadside though! 

Is it me or does the arrow look like it deflects off a bone just after impact and ends up entering more straight on?

looks like a clean shot to me. maybe looks like a slight deflection because his head is down but stayed on angle

I know I've passed countless shots under 20 yards head on or slightly coutering just because thats what I had been taught.  Probably going to try it next chance I get.

This one worked out and the kid kept his composure and and did everything right. Nice work and bull. That being said for I will continue to pass on this shot. I've let them walk as close as 6 yds frontal before and will continue to do so. To many horror stories about this shot and I prefer to sleep well at night. Just my preference. Broadside only or slightly quartering for me.

That was a exciting video. Over the years I have only taken one shot like that. It was a cow elk at 16 yards  and I hit a lung and liver and top part of the guts. I didnt have to track it. She ran up the hill and at 50 yards she fell over and rolled back down to me. The reason I wouldnt take the shot again is there was no blood.

That's odd the guys I know that have taken that shot say there is always a crazy amount of blood, enough that they are always suprised how far they have to track.

If you can hit the kill zone than a front shoot is the best shoot on the animal , in the kill zone you will get the juggler , esaphogus , hart and lungs all in one shot, my daughter took this same shoot on her deer last season and it dropped after 3 steps , bleed out in apx 5 seconds .

OK someone should do a serious frontal dissection for a pic for everyone this year.  I know easy to say when you don't have a bull down on a 75 degree afternoon 5 miles from the rig.

lang said:
OK someone should do a serious frontal dissection for a pic for everyone this year.  I know easy to say when you don't have a bull down on a 75 degree afternoon 5 miles from the rig.
if i get drawn and am lucky enough to put one down ill do it
other wise i do it on a white tail and everyone will have to think bigger lol

Corey says it best in the University of Elk Hunting DVD, when he explains about hitting a grapefruit-sized target (making his hands in to a circle about the same size) and reinforces the point that the hunter needs to be confident in his or her ability to hit that size of target

BigDan posted some very helpful frontal diagrams on Bowsite before last season; from memory, he refers to an area 12" tall by 4" wide between the inside of the shoulder bone/ribcage and the sternum, half way up the body

I've seen in person a frontal shot.. We lost that bull. Bled really good at first, piles of frothy blood. Down side.. My buddy only hit one lung. My question is, would a mechanical be a better choice for a frontal shot since cut diameter is some what bigger? Don't bash me it's just a question.

Hycntryhtr said:
I've seen in person a frontal shot.. We lost that bull. Bled really good at first, piles of frothy blood. Down side.. My buddy only hit one lung. My question is, would a mechanical be a better choice for a frontal shot since cut diameter is some what bigger? Don't bash me it's just a question.

not to many people bash here brother man the difference between fixed and mechanical is half dozen oneway six the other i have shot both iv killed with both i have had great blood and poor blood with both really its the quality of the shot and the confidence you have to put the shot on with the head you choose i love a mechanical personally but if its not leagle  to use im not going to fret ill use a fixed they are what i started with when i began to hunt dead is dead heart and lungs get pierced by a 3/4 inch or two inch the animal will not survive either hole

I would have to say that I as well would not like to get a frontal shot.  I like the notion that was mentioned to aim for the exit and try to get a clean pass through.  I also agree that you should practice small.  If you can hit a grapefruit from 60 yds, then you should feel confident to be able to make a quick and clean kill on a bull.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back