Game bags

planebow

Dec 29, 2012
Just curious about what ever one uses. I have been using the Alaska bags. I vacuum bag them to take up less room in my pack and it also keeps them clean.

I am a HUGE fan of the Caribou Game Bags.  They are light, durable, easy to clean, and those reflectors can be seen in the dark from 75 to 100 yards away up in the trees.  That feature alone was a huge plus coming back in the dark for load number 2.  I have several other brands and vacuum seal them to decrease space, but they don't compare to the Caribou bags.  The other "game bag" that I really like is Kifaru's Meat Bag that will hold 100 lbs of boned meat.  It isn't ideal for hanging in camp, but is ideal for packing out using the boneless method and each weigh less than 1 oz.  I have 3 of these and the 4 Caribou bags (Carnivore Pack), plus a yellow nylon quarter bag in pack (see photo).  I can easily put a boned out bull in these bags, hang them in a tree and I carry 2 legit quarter bags in case I choose to bring the hind quarters out on the bone.

Attachments

• GameBag.jpg
    GameBag.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 106
  • GameBagContents.jpg
    GameBagContents.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 106
BIG fan of the Caribou Game bags as well!! The quality is there, the features are there (the reflective tags are $$), and they are worth the price!

I third the caribou gear game bags, i got the carnivore pack before this this season and got to use them on my cow, they pack down tiny are very light and i couldnt believe how well they cleaned up.

I use T.A.G. bags from Pristine Ventures.  They are bulletproof and have never let me down.

RockyMountainHi said:
I am a HUGE fan of the Caribou Game Bags.  They are light, durable, easy to clean, and those reflectors can be seen in the dark from 75 to 100 yards away up in the trees.  That feature alone was a huge plus coming back in the dark for load number 2.  I have several other brands and vacuum seal them to decrease space, but they don't compare to the Caribou bags.  The other "game bag" that I really like is Kifaru's Meat Bag that will hold 100 lbs of boned meat.  It isn't ideal for hanging in camp, but is ideal for packing out using the boneless method and each weigh less than 1 oz.  I have 3 of these and the 4 Caribou bags (Carnivore Pack), plus a yellow nylon quarter bag in pack (see photo).  I can easily put a boned out bull in these bags, hang them in a tree and I carry 2 legit quarter bags in case I choose to bring the hind quarters out on the bone.

The above recomendations, I have the alaska bags as well. They are heavy and I will be moving to the caribou or TAG bags to save space and weight.

Reedjj said:
RockyMountainHi said:

The above recomendations, I have the alaska bags as well. They are heavy and I will be moving to the caribou or TAG bags to save space and weight.

LOL, I have a Medium stuff sack full of cloth/polyester game bags of various types including 4 of the Alaskan Game Bags you mentioned.  They work great, but I need to carry game bags every day just in case and they were just too big!

Attachments

• Leftover Game Bags
    44.1 KB · Views: 88
You guys must be using different Alaska Game Bags than I use... :)

I really like the lightweight "Northern" game bags by Alaska Game Bags. I used them and the Caribou Game Bags this past fall on the same bull for comparison purposes and both bags have pluses and minuses.

Alaska Game Bag "Northern" bags - $11 for 4 of them, half the weight of the Caribou Medium Quarter Bags, compression fit, stretch to fit over end of boned quarter. Tight enough weave they do not let dirt or bugs in. Synthetic material.

Caribou Medium Quarter Bags - $52 for 4 of them, heavier than "Northern" bags, very tight weave....no bugs or dirt can get in. Drawbacks - heavier, no compression, so lots of wasted material (weight/space).

If I wanted a bag I could use over and over and I wasn't as concerned about counting ounces, and if I wasn't set on leaving quarters in, the Caribou bags are GREAT!

If I'm going deep and counting ounces, and need a reliable bag that is light and small (and inexpensive), I will carry the "Northern" bags by Alaska.

http://www.elk101store.com/servlet/the-Game-Bags/Categories

buglelk said:
You guys must be using different Alaska Game Bags than I use... :)

I really like the lightweight "Northern" game bags by Alaska Game Bags. I used them and the Caribou Game Bags this past fall on the same bull for comparison purposes and both bags have pluses and minuses.

Alaska Game Bag "Northern" bags - $11 for 4 of them, half the weight of the Caribou Medium Quarter Bags, compression fit, stretch to fit over end of boned quarter. Tight enough weave they do not let dirt or bugs in. Synthetic material.

Caribou Medium Quarter Bags - $52 for 4 of them, heavier than "Northern" bags, very tight weave....no bugs or dirt can get in. Drawbacks - heavier, no compression, so lots of wasted material (weight/space).

If I wanted a bag I could use over and over and I wasn't as concerned about counting ounces, and if I wasn't set on leaving quarters in, the Caribou bags are GREAT!

If I'm going deep and counting ounces, and need a reliable bag that is light and small (and inexpensive), I will carry the "Northern" bags by Alaska.

http://www.elk101store.com/servlet/the-Game-Bags/Categories

Corey,

I was using a different Alaska Game Bag--an older one that I think was called their "Deluxe" bag.  Good quality (still have them), but just too heavy and bulky.  Now you got me curious about the Northern bags.  Is that what is carried on the Elk 101 store?

Yeah, we carry both the Northern and Caribou Game Bags in the Elk101 Store. I also use both bags, depending on the hunt...

buglelk said:
Yeah, we carry both the Northern and Caribou Game Bags in the Elk101 Store. I also use both bags, depending on the hunt...

Corey,

Vacuum sealing the Caribou quarter bags really cuts down the bulk for me, but won't do anything for the extra weight.  What is your opinion as to the durability of the Northern Alaska Game Bags?  The Caribou bags have been above average (IMHO) in comparison to other cloth bags (McCoy, Allen, Big Game, etc.)

Attachments

• Caribou Quarterbag
    29.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Vacuum quarter bag
    33.5 KB · Views: 83
Caribou bags are far more durable than the Northern bags. That being said, I've never had an issue with the Northern bags failing. I only use the Northern bags one time, then discard them....you can get multiple uses out of the Caribou bags.

Ahh, thanks for the clarification as I was thinking the Northern bags were a heavier built type of bag.  There is always the tradeoff of one thing for another....

I have heard caribou bags are the best, but I didn't have the money for them yet.  I bought a set of 4 quarter bags from alaska game bags for 13 bucks.  Haven't gotten a chance to test them out yet

I use Caribou game bags and i love them. They work great and they are reusable so that is definitely a plus.

I need to look into those Caribou bags, those look cool. I've been carrying around pillow cases sown together, they have worked well for some time but do add more weight a bulk then I need.

Alaskan game bags have always worked for me but I can see there are some other great options. Thanks for all the info.

I use the Caribou bags as well and love them. Super tough and light weight. I debone almost everything in the field so they work great with tons of weight in them. I can get away with just packing in two for a deer. I have used the same set of 4 bags now for two years and multiple hauls with not a single hole or malfunction.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back