Getting motivated

Hycntryhtr

May 30, 2013
Last year I worked out 5 days a week from jan till oct.. Then my wedding hit, then holidays, now I'm 15#s heavier and I can't seem to get myself motivated to work out. Anybody have some advice!! Feel like $hit!

I didn't have the wedding factor, but work and hunting season hit.  It was tough to get motivated to get in the gym... I just asked myself at the beginning of the year how tired I wanted to be packing a bull out of the bottom of a canyon.  Went to the gym one evening and kept thinking about killing elk and packing them out.  Kept me motivated everyday since then. 

its a daily struggle for me brother i feel your pain when its bitter cold out i just want to eat and sleep unfortunately i have to work other wise id just hibernate. i have to fight to stay active but i do even if its only a couple days a week because the mountains never rest they are always brutal 

I agree.  It is all about finding the motivating factor for you.  What is the reason behind doing it? Elk hunting? Feeling better? Find that and I bet it will become easier.

I find that thinking of the harvest, do I want to struggle to get it done or do I want to be as able bodied I can do get myself in and out, and keep my meat clean and healthy.  I am hitting the gym 4 days out of the week,  I hunted in Kentucky for the last 4.5 years, dragging a whitetail out of those hills is nothing caopared to an elk or mule deer back home in Idaho, miles from my truck, no ATV access, its not for the faint of heart.  Thats my motivation! ;)

My wife and I just had our first child in September and I was going through the same thing not too long ago.  This last week I made the decision to work out every day regardless of what else I had going on.  This means running at 5 am or after 10 hr work days.  I'm using the boot camp mentality right now and that means keep working out until it stops hurting.  I'm starting slow so as to not overdue it but am feeling pretty good already. 

Set a goal or pick a race and sign up. Having a shorter and more specific goals have always worked best for me.  Elk season is the overall goal but use smaller ones to get you there. 

I saw a phrase used by Cam Hanes.... I put it on my white board in my workout area that I keep track of my workout progress.  It has really helped keep me motivated when I felt tired or felt like slacking.....  "TRAIN HARD,  HUNT EASY".

It's simple, and you have two choices.

Train, and have a good hunt.

Don't train, and whine about how hard the hunt is.

Shot about 100 arrows today.. Then did crossfit.. Been going 4 days a week, hiking on the weekends, even ran my first race. A 10k.. Feeling amazing!!! Can't wait to feel the weight of a bull on my back!!!!

shooting my new elite energy 35 bow about 100 shots everyday. Crossfit 3-4 days a week. Corey's university 101 workout 3 days a week and starting to train for my half marathon (middle of august) tommorrow (running 4 days a week). Its nice being retired so I can also get in plenty of naps. also starting my diet need to loose about 15 pounds in 84 days. 

Man after not being prepared this last year, I wasnt going to have it happen again. I do the basics in 45 minutes: Dead Lifts, Squats, Bench, Dips, and Pullups. Started out light and now I hate missing a day. Hiking one day a week and shooting every day... Just remember: Proper Preparation Prevents Piss-poor Preformace

frankh_541 said:
Man after not being prepared this last year, I wasnt going to have it happen again. I do the basics in 45 minutes: Dead Lifts, Squats, Bench, Dips, and Pull ups. Started out light and now I hate missing a day. Hiking one day a week and shooting every day... Just remember: Proper Preparation Prevents Piss-poor Preformace

You need to increase the hiking much more. With backpack preferably. Climbs and descents. Lifting weights won't get you up the mountain.

My motivation, was having my but kicked by a hunting partner on a hunt, felt like I was holding him back and didn't like the feeling. Trying to get in better shape so I can at least see him as he is going up the mountain, instead of following his boot tracks in the snow only to find out he had an hour nap while I was trying to catch up.

my self I never go to the gym and work out , if im going to workout I will accomplish something at the same time.Alot of time working in the yard and I pick hobbies that are active , hiking , shed hunting , horses ,bike riding ,swimming  . that kind of stuff as often as you can.And yes I did say riding horses, you would be amazed the kind of work out you get from riding a horse.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2014/06/get-elk-hunting-shape-phase-2?cmpid=enews061814b&spPodID=020&spMailingID=6675081&spUserID=NTkwOTcxMjQzODkS1&spJobID=461984039&spReportId=NDYxOTg0MDM5S0

here is a field& stream article about getting into elk shape the author got his tips from Cameron H.

Just started running.  Did one 10k last year that was a fundraiser for a camp for families that have lost a child which we sadly go to.  Now running has become my main therapy.  So far this week I did one distance run about 14 mi, and intervals with some triathalon athletes at a local hs, and a shorter distance run to work out the stiffness the day after intervals and it feels great.  Better shape at 38 than when I was playing sports in hs.  Just start and then grow it distance or speed and keep at it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back