Getting the gardens ready

Looks good! I just started my first ever garden this weekend. Very curious how it is going to turn out. I'm really looking forward to pickling some beets!

Dan, every night around 6:30 unless Sandy has to work late then closer to 8.  I can arrange some appetizers if falls on one of her late shifts!!  :)

lvar88, I've got red beets and trying golden beets for the first time.  Love pickled beets too!  Be sure and give plenty of water until seeds have germinated and poking through the soil.

colorado russ said:
Dan, every night around 6:30 unless Sandy has to work late then closer to 8.  I can arrange some appetizers if falls on one of her late shifts!!  :)

lvar88, I've got red beets and trying golden beets for the first time.  Love pickled beets too!  Be sure and give plenty of water until seeds have germinated and poking through the soil.

I hope to draw that magical muzzy tag this year. If so you need to come out  :upthumb:

Deeeeeeee-licious.  We are getting our starts going now here in Montana. Our grow season is short so it?s always a rush. It?s crazy how much you can actually taste the vegetable, or what it should taste like anyhow.    We sure enjoy a healthy garden each year. And year to year we switch it up based upon what my daughter wants to grow and learn about.

Picked the last of the lettuce after returning from vacation.  Still some kale left and a little arugula but time to move on to more filling crops!

Potatoes are ready along with onions, beets and a few cucumbers.  Tomatoes and peppers are on most plants but still a few weeks away before being ready.

Love me garden! 

Quick update:  Cucumbers have been going crazy so jarring up as many as I have fridge space for.

Mom's garden is AMAZING!  I think I'm doing good by having a few cherry tomatoes then she brings over this behemoth.  I definitely planted my tomatoes too close together so I pulled 2 plants this weekend and may pull 1 more to allow more sunlight.

Finally, a complete garden meal!  Got enough okra for my first fry last night.  Set out a package of elk tenderloin and it was actually marked correct!  Nothing but salt, pepper and garlic powder then grilled to a nice medium rare.  Roasted red potatoes, carrots and onions.  Fried okra - egg wash with milk then toss in corn meal with a little flour and ground pepper.  DAMN!  Honestly could've made a meal just on the fried okra.  Tomatoes on the side.

Sorry no after it's cooked pictures - got hungry and wasn't stopping!  Heck, didn't even open a bottle of red wine for the tenderloin.

Cucumbers have been going crazy so jarring up as many as I have fridge space for.
[/color]Garden is mainly now just peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers along with fresh herbs in pots.  Mom is getting tons of squash and zucchini but not my forte so let my wife have those.  Mom will make some lemon poppy seed bread with yellow squash and zucchini bread which I'll eat just don't like it plain.
I'll bring a loaf or two Dan if you get that ML tag.

colorado russ said:
Quick update:  Cucumbers have been going crazy so jarring up as many as I have fridge space for.

Mom's garden is AMAZING!  I think I'm doing good by having a few cherry tomatoes then she brings over this behemoth.  I definitely planted my tomatoes too close together so I pulled 2 plants this weekend and may pull 1 more to allow more sunlight.

Finally, a complete garden meal!  Got enough okra for my first fry last night.  Set out a package of elk tenderloin and it was actually marked correct!  Nothing but salt, pepper and garlic powder then grilled to a nice medium rare.  Roasted red potatoes, carrots and onions.  Fried okra - egg wash with milk then toss in corn meal with a little flour and ground pepper.  DAMN!  Honestly could've made a meal just on the fried okra.  Tomatoes on the side.

Sorry no after it's cooked pictures - got hungry and wasn't stopping!  Heck, didn't even open a bottle of red wine for the tenderloin.

Every time you post I get either hungry or antsy to finally get in a place I can settle down and start a proper garden!
YUM!

colorado russ said:
Cucumbers have been going crazy so jarring up as many as I have fridge space for.
[/color]Garden is mainly now just peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers along with fresh herbs in pots.  Mom is getting tons of squash and zucchini but not my forte so let my wife have those.  Mom will make some lemon poppy seed bread with yellow squash and zucchini bread which I'll eat just don't like it plain.
I'll bring a loaf or two Dan if you get that ML tag.

Tomorrow we find out! I hope I drew.... I don't even need to shoot anything, it'll be a win if you bring the loaf  :upthumb:

Okay, that'll be end of October so garden will be done.  Will have to go "canned" - pickles(on elk burgers), green tomato relish(on venison brats), beets(on elk tenderloin), salsa(on breakfast burritos) and roasted roma tomatoes/chipotle(on cubed steaks).  Guess I shouldn't leave off apple butter jelly(on damn near anything)!

You'll have the camper so a scoop of ice cream on the lemon poppy seed to finish it off.

Heck, we may draw an OK elk tag too!

My gardens have taken 2 hits of hail this year.

My typical 30 plants of sweet corn are down to 7.

Had to replant my cucumbers. Paltry at best

Onions took a hit and so did my pepper plants

My tomatoes took a hit but will produce some

My potatoes will produce a decent yield

Brad, that's EXACTLY how our gardens went every year in Colorado Springs.  I even started tomatoes and peppers in my garage then put out first part of June but still didn't produce well or a late hail storm when at work would wipe them out.  Just gave up after a few years.

Here in OK, onions and potatoes are pretty much done and stored in our pantry.  I have some shallots still in the ground but they need to be dug up along with a few carrots.

My mom's cucumbers and squash are producing like crazy - she's taking them to the gym in a basket and letting people take what they want.

Too bad some of you guys aren't closer.

colorado russ said:
Brad, that's EXACTLY how our gardens went every year in Colorado Springs.  I even started tomatoes and peppers in my garage then put out first part of June but still didn't produce well or a late hail storm when at work would wipe them out.  Just gave up after a few years.

Here in OK, onions and potatoes are pretty much done and stored in our pantry.  I have some shallots still in the ground but they need to be dug up along with a few carrots.

My mom's cucumbers and squash are producing like crazy - she's taking them to the gym in a basket and letting people take what they want.

Too bad some of you guys aren't closer.

I didn't draw...

Well, it's been a pretty good year for the garden but definitely areas for improvement.  Still getting a few peppers and the okra has finally slowed down!  I've never seen, much less grown, okra that ends up over 8' tall but had plenty this year.  Stockade fence in picture is 6'.  Got quite a bit blanched, cut, tossed in flour/cornmeal and vacuum sealed just ready for the fryer - maybe with a fresh elk tenderloin this winter!

My soil ended up too compact, in my opinion.  Beets, onions, carrots and potatoes all seemed to push up out of the soil instead of growing more down and bigger under the soil.  Will add some peat moss or compost to aerate some - may buy some earthworms too and add.

Going to also increase size by one 8' x 8' section.  My tomatoes were WAY too close as were my cucumbers so didn't do as well as they could have done.

Oh, well, like hunting...next spring is another season!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back