Going vegetarian before archery season

COelkaholic88

Jan 4, 2013
This year I decided to archery Elk hunt for the first time. I was talking with an old timer, and he suggested that I lay off all meat 2 weeks before I head out. His logic behind this was to cleanse myself of the "preadator" scent that is associated with meat eaters. My question is, has any else heard of this tactic? Has anyone tried it? What was your experience if you have?

Every body is entitled to their own opinion but in my opinion this sounds crazy. sounds like someone pulling your chain. I say nothing like a great elk steak off the grill the night be before to put me in the mood.

My thoughts exactly. I cant go 4 hours without eating meat littlelone 2 weeks! Besides, why did they invent scent spray if this was the case? And turbo1967, I like your style. Nothing like some elk steaks to put you in the mood. I actually had to hold back my grin cause this guy was dead serious and swore by it. I guess this one goes with his stories about serving in nam. Taking down Charlie with a piano string, lol (no offense to those who actually served back then)

I thought about this post today when watching an elk hunting video and this Huge Elk comes onto screen. It made me think when I saw the massive muscles on that elk that he is a vegetarian.....food for thought

nclonghunter said:
I thought about this post today when watching an elk hunting video and this Huge Elk comes onto screen. It made me think when I saw the massive muscles on that elk that he is a vegetarian.....food for thought
  Oh by all means don't get me wrong ,I like vegetarians they are very tasty.

I take smoked fish with me fishing sometimes and if I don't catch anything, I can always say "Yeah I had some fish."

If you take some elk steak with you but on the off chance you don't fill your tag you can always say "yeah I had some elk." 8)

I have heard of this before. As the old timer suggested, some think that not eating meat a few weeks before the hunt will help with the smell. I don't think it can really hurt but I think a vegitarian can smell just as bad as a carnivor. The bottom line, either way you have to play the wind.

I read an article in Outdoor Life back in the 80's about this same topic and deer hunting. The author swore it works and also ingested some kind of chlorophyll capsules to cover his breath. He started a month before season and kept on it all season.........

I think I will stick to meat and playing the wind ;)

Not sure it matters.

If you are downwind from an ELK, I don't care what you ate the past day, week, or year...YOU still smell human.
I get it...it makes sense not to smell like a predator...but you are, to an elk, no matter what you eat.
Hunt the wind.
John

THEBUGLER said:
I read an article in Outdoor Life back in the 80's about this same topic and deer hunting. The author swore it works and also ingested some kind of chlorophyll capsules to cover his breath. He started a month before season and kept on it all season.........

I had a buddy I used to hunt with that back in the '80's that must have read that article b/c he did that.  I'm not sure it worked.
I figure we smell like an intrusive predator to elk and deer no matter what we eat. Just a different flavor.

Turbo, I have read your reply post several times following this threat and I laugh every time. They are very tasty. We need a "like" button on these posts like FB has. I could like a lot of posts without having to do a written reply.

I am staying with eating meat also. I have tried to eat only veggies to loose a few pounds, but I find I need some meat pretty soon. I have always hunted the wind and did okay.

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I was unsure about this technique as I am new to the archery way of hunting. I am trying to gain as much knowledge as I can before September, and I figured the expierecne on this forum would prevail. Best of luck to you all. May your arrows fly straight and true!

I dont buy it. Sounds like the story this wana be archery hunter told me at work. Said if you hunt naked the elk dont see you as a human. He was serious! LOL Liberal Logic.

i wouldn't go that far as to become a vegan before elk season but i have cut down on eating for another reason. i guess you could call it fasting. i still eat meat once a day but i'm getting used to the "hunger" feeling i get when hunting long days and this year some backcountry style hunting.

There is an article in the new bugle magazine about this. Thought it was an interesting read on how he struggled and went hunting.His point was it bought him time when he was busted. He believed it made a small difference giving him the opportunity to make the shot he normally wouldn't have before they turned and stormed off. I will be eating elk jerky to get my mind right on the 9 hour drive next week. To each their own! good luck to all, the season is so close.

I think if you switched up your diet that much that fast your gonna feel tired and weak while hunting. I eat tons of meat in my diet. almost every meal I have and if I were to completely  take it out I don't think my body would handle just the greens to well. plus then I'd always be hungry. Salads every day aren't going to fill me up. I need some elk steak and potatoes.

only thing I can say is don't go eating stuff that makes you fart. has nothing to do with the elk, but everything to do with whether you get to sleep inside the tent or outside.....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back