Good Bow Techs are hard to find

WardDawg7

Jan 27, 2013
How many times have you switched your bow tech?  Looking back on the past 4 bows I have purchased it seems that I have had a different draw length or arrow length & weight according to the tech behind the counter.  I know that each bow is some what different but don't you think your body measurements are always the same?  Before gaining more experience my first few bow set ups were all wrong.  How can that be?  Arent all the bow techs trained and certified?  New archers will have no idea and will listen to the guy behind the counter and trust what he or she is telling them.  Also have had problems with techs not cutting arrows all the same length.  My suggestion is talk to fellow archers and see who they use and why.  I finally found a tech that I trust 100% and is the only one who will touch my bow.

I found a good one & that’s the only place I go now. I do most of my tuning myself but if its something major he is the only guy I trust.

I have a bow press and do all my own work on my bows. There is a lot of information on the net on tuning bows. Not all bows tune the same.  In recent years they have found that shorter draw lengths help you shoot better.

I find one I think is good and stick with them. If I have to go to someone else for whatever reason then I don't let them change things because they are usually they way I like them already.

I think that once some people get the "archery bug" they want to take it to the next level and open up a shop. Especially in areas where there are few archery shops avavilble. Most of these people have great intentions, but little real knowledge of the intricacies of bow set up and repair..etc...
I think this hurts the sport as many new people are not given proper knowledge and set up and us veterans go in knowing more than the shop owner. Nothing against new shops, but you should have the knowledge or hire someone who does.

I had a hard time just finding one who would work on my bow it was a Whisper creek  alot of techs didnt care for them so I learned alot on the net and bought some DVDs and now I do all my own tuning .

I have one place that I won't take my bow back to.  I had just gotten a brand new string put on my hoyt alphamax at a hoyt dealer a few weeks before.  Took it in to a local mathews dealer to have it tuned and a peep put on.  The peep they put on cut through the string in about ten shots.  Took it back to them they said they would replace the string.  Got it back a week later the string they put on was for a #2 cam (mines #3) so it would only go to a 29" draw (mines 31).  Took it back in, took them another week to get the right length string.  My string they were supposed to replace was black and the new one was orange and blue, but I was so tired of it I just accepted it.  On top of all this it was the end of the season so I missed the last few weeks of hunting season because of it.  Needless to say they lost my business.

Good bow techs are like gold.  I had a great one working for me at Cabela's in Wisconsin.  He was known as Dr. Bow by the customers and co-workers.  Most customers that came into the store didn't want any of my other employees touching their bows.  Anytime something needed to be "rigged", he was the go to guy.  If you find a tech you trust....treat him well and he will always take care of you.

that's why I learned to do all the simple stuff myself, tuning adding sights, peeps, and everything that does not require a bow press. that I leave to the techs. I wouldn't mind learning though.

There is no one good close to me so I do it all myself.
If you are looking for a tech though Crackers does a bang up job.

I do all my own work. Have my own presses, draw board, paper tuner, weight scales....I will not let anyone touch my stuff. When I buy a bow at the shop, I take it out of the box to make sure it is one piece and then take it home.

If you are ever in Show Low, AZ and it isn't elk season :), stop on by the shop and I will take care of you. I have been working in an archery shop for 26 years now. It wasn't the most lucrative line of work, but I have had a ton of fun!
There are lots of very capable techs out there, but there is just no substitute for experience.

I am still searching for a good one.. The kid that normally does it is horrible. I should just figure out how to do the stuff myself.  One year I had him re-tie in my peep that came undone right before I went antelope hunting.. and then a week later while I was antelope hunting, I drew back on an antelope and the little string he used to tie my peep back in broke.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back