Got Lucky on Saturday Evening

elkmtngear

Aug 9, 2017
I really thought my chances were poor, because the weather had cooled down. But, this guy was thirsty, and came in right before dusk. He stopped to drink in the pond, but he was quartering to me, so I waited him out.

When he turned and walked out into the pond, he gave me a great 15 yard opportunity, slightly quartering away, and I put the hammer on him. I was pleased to hear him pile up quickly, about 50 yards away...this is how I found him:

0711152152_zpstwchuccq.jpg

Arrow had great penetration, and ended up in the offside shoulder. Lungs and great vessels were destroyed!

Here is the more tasteful pic:

0711152202_zpsqm5gxvkg.jpg

He had some impressive cutters on him:

0711152225_zps0hdlrbua.jpg

It was a long night getting him broke down, but I was thankful for the cooler weather. Got the loin and ribs all vacuum sealed, and I had about 50 pounds of ground meat that I made into breakfast sausage and Italian sausage. For a big hog, the flavor of the meat was absolutely amazing.

It was my first pig hunt in 2015...couldn\'t have been better! :D

\"elky McElkerson\" said:
Sweet. This is a private land hunt?!!

Sent via Jedi mind trick.

Yeah Cliff. They are hard enough to hunt on Private Land...I can\'t imagine trying to kill them on Public :crazy:

This guy has a pretty good size pond and it\'s the only one for like half a mile. So it gets visited regularly...but not always when I decide to sit the stand. Plenty of action after dark (by trailcam record). These things are very nocturnal. Every one I\'ve killed has been right around dusk.

\"F M\" said:
Nice Jeff. :upthumb:

You should have had Colt with you.

I knew I was going to be out there sometime, Francis. I should have put in that request for Colt :oops:
I actually thought about it, but those darn pigs are so unreliable, I didn\'t want Colt to be disappointed.

Thanks for the feedback, Gentlemen! :D

Thanks, Roman!

\"mainebrdr\" said:
Good job Jeff. Maybe it\'s time for a hog pic on your Slip System!

Tim, I\'ve had quite a few requests for that over the Years. Actually, the Moo Cow has been pretty effective on Spot and Stalk pigs:

Kellypig2.jpg

You guys are making me want to go out to where I hunt and chase pigs now....

I have plenty of pictures of them.

I\'ve never butchered one. I am guessing it\'s just like anything else?
Is there anything special I need to know? Other than get it on ice ASAP because of how hot it is?

\"iccyman001\" said:
Is there anything special I need to know? Other than get it on ice ASAP because of how hot it is?

The hide is THICK!!! Does not come off easy, and there is a cartilage \"shield\" across the back...so it\'s like trying to fold down a piece of paneling when you are skinning them down. I gutted this pig, threw a 20# bag of crushed ice in his body cavity, and drove an hour home. Drug him in the shop to a crane, lifted him up and started skinning him out. Took me a while! Even leaving the hide on that long...the meat was excellent! Temps were probably in the high 70s by that time.

\"elkmtngear\" said:
\"iccyman001\" said:

The hide is THICK!!! Does not come off easy, and there is a cartilage \"shield\" across the back...so it\'s like trying to fold down a piece of paneling when you are skinning them down. I gutted this pig, threw a 20# bag of crushed ice in his body cavity, and drove an hour home. Drug him in the shop to a crane, lifted him up and started skinning him out. Took me a while! Even leaving the hide on that long...the meat was excellent! Temps were probably in the high 70s by that time.

Awesome! Thanks, Jeff!

With pigs, is all of their meat very fatty or just the belly meat?

This one was pretty lean overall, but quite a bit across the back and haunches, as well as the belly. The grind has plenty of fat in it, but cooks up much leaner than Jimmy Dean. But the flavor is great!

I threw in some choice fatty chunks when we ground it all up.

\"zpd307\" said:
do you use its own fat for the grind?

Yeah Gary...I just left the fat on some of the chunks...mainly from the haunches. We did a coarse grind, and then a fine grind...beautiful!

It\'s very sweet...hard to believe this thing was just surviving on roots. I\'m thinking he was finding some choice feed on some neighboring properties :think:

The acorns have not dropped...yet!

That\'s what got me thinking. I use pork dressings/ bellyfat to cut my venison and elk.
So if I kill some hogs, it saves me on buying pork fat:D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back