Havalon Knives

Mountain Bowhunter

Jan 2, 2013
I am seriously considering a Havalon Piranta for a backpacking light weight, do all hunting knife.  I like that there is no need for a sharpening stone with the replaceable blades.  Obviously this knife does not serve as a general survival/everyday knife with the flimsy delicate blades but it would be nice to never have to worry about a sharp hunting knife.  What are the differences in the various models of Piranta and the different blades and does anybody have any opinions on the knives?

Id still carry a knife and sharpener . Id hate to rely on one of those. Seems like they could break. Good knives I just dont like being stuck with nothing 5 mles in. I carr 2 knives anyway. Thought about getting a pirana as my #2 knife. They are super sharp.

Bucklucky said:
Id still carry a knife and sharpener . Id hate to rely on one of those. Seems like they could break. Good knives I just dont like being stuck with nothing 5 mles in. I carr 2 knives anyway. Thought about getting a pirana as my #2 knife. They are super sharp.

Yeah i've been thinking about this.  I have a buck paklite fieldmaster set which is a great little kit.  It comes with a large paklite skinner, a paklite caper, and a paklite guthook.  Has a great sheath that holds all three knives and has two zipper pockets to hold other things(stones etc).  The best part is the paklites don't have handles to trap blood and guts so you can just throw them in a bowl of soapy water.  all the plastic sleeves come out so you can send them through the dishwasher and the sheath through the wash. so you can clean and sanitize everything.
But I love the idea of the havalon and never having to worry about sharpening and I am thinking about using a piranta in place of the caper as my number 2.  I would carry several extra blades and could keep them in the zipper pouch. So I can use the havalon for most of the work to save my fixed blades until it gets tough then I'll grab the skinner.  And I will probably use the havalon for a light weight hunting knife when weight counts.  I know it is delicate and flimsy  so I would probly use my paklite for off season backpacking/camping.

I have used the Havalon Piranta for years as my main knife. No worries about going into the backcountry with just this knife alone.

I've been using the Havalon Piranta for 3 years and LOVE it! The blades are a little brittle, and you'll likely break a couple the first time you use it to skin and elk. Once you realize you no longer have to tug and twist though, you'll become very efficient with it.

With that being said, you need to check out the new "Torch" from Havalon. Same principle of replaceable blades, but more rigid and durable. It's what I carry in my pack now, and it works GREAT as a standalone knife!

http://www.elk101store.com/servlet/the-36/Havalon-TORCH/Detail

Attachments

• Torch.jpg
    Torch.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 74
I have the same one in the pic, and its the only knife I carry in the woods (except for a small pocket knife that is aways in my pocket including when I'm at church).

but could I use this knife as an all around survival/camping knife also.  I mean it just doesn't seem like it would do well with tough stuff like say cutting wood or striking a ferro rod with the flimsy blade.  think I'd rather use the tougher paklite for that

The Havalon is great for skinning and gutting an animal. Great for filleting meat for the grill, too. As far as an all around survival knife, the answer is no. Lightweight plastic handle and surgical steel blades are great for backcountry hunts, but if you need to hack wood, hammer something in or use it as a different too I would go with a second knife. I pack three knives with me just so I don't have to sharpen that often, but that is just a personal preference. Havalon Piranta, Buck Special, KOA Trailblazer.

The SoCal Bowhunter said:
The Havalon is great for skinning and gutting an animal. Great for filleting meat for the grill, too. As far as an all around survival knife, the answer is no. Lightweight plastic handle and surgical steel blades are great for backcountry hunts, but if you need to hack wood, hammer something in or use it as a different too I would go with a second knife. I pack three knives with me just so I don't have to sharpen that often, but that is just a personal preference. Havalon Piranta, Buck Special, KOA Trailblazer.

That is my reasoning.  Use the havalon for skinning and quartering to save the blade on my paklite skinner as it will probly recieve enough abuse as it is.  And I will always have a sharp knife for when an animal is down

I have a Piranta in every pack I own plus one in the truck.  I just LOVE this knife. I still however carry a multi-tool for everyday camp work.

ghost said:
I have a Piranta in every pack I own plus one in the truck.  I just LOVE this knife. I still however carry a multi-tool for everyday camp work.

I also meant to ask.  do you really need a multi tool or pliers to change the blades

No you don't. Lets assume the Piranta is opened and the blade facing to the felt, handle to the right.  I use my left index and thumb to hold the blade on the top (non sharp side) and use my right thumb nail to push up on the blade on the bottom right of the blade by the handle. This are of the blade is not sharp either. Once the blade is up from the locking channel, I will pull the blade to the left and away from the handle with my left index and thumb. Please, please, please be VERY careful. This knife if a scalpel, literally. I carry crazy glue with me now. You just never know.

ghost said:
No you don't. Lets assume the Piranta is opened and the blade facing to the felt, handle to the right.  I use my left index and thumb to hold the blade on the top (non sharp side) and use my right thumb nail to push up on the blade on the bottom right of the blade by the handle. This are of the blade is not sharp either. Once the blade is up from the locking channel, I will pull the blade to the left and away from the handle with my left index and thumb. Please, please, please be VERY careful. This knife if a scalpel, literally. I carry crazy glue with me now. You just never know.

Right on with the Crazy Glue. My buddy filleted his index finger while using a Piranta this year. I am thankful I have a first-aid kit at all times on me.

I've been using the Havalon for a few years now.  Its the only knife I carry in my pack.  Works awesome and the second you try to pry with it, you'll learn that you cannot do that with that blade  :)

Last year, I forgot the knife and only had a replacement blade in my pack.  Murphy's Law had me shoot a bull that day.  It was exciting to say the least when I was gutting that animal out.  My fingers all stayed in tact  :D

Bugle Em In said:
I've been using the Havalon for a few years now.  Its the only knife I carry in my pack.  Works awesome and the second you try to pry with it, you'll learn that you cannot do that with that blade  :)

Last year, I forgot the knife and only had a replacement blade in my pack.  Murphy's Law had me shoot a bull that day.  It was exciting to say the least when I was gutting that animal out.  My fingers all stayed in tact  :D

yeah I bet you didn't rush that job at all haha

Bugle Em In said:

Lol. Hence why I have one on EVERY pack I own. Good job keeping all your digits though.

Can't go wrong with the Havalon.  Had used one in the past and just recently bought one, and love it.  I do carry other knives and a sharpener as well for other stuff around camp and in my pack, but Havalon for skinning is the best.  I also carry a small pliers/leatherman, which I bought from Cabelas for under $5 for switching out blades.  They are very sharp as stated before and not to be messed with.

Havalons are great, light weight and you bring the extra blades...this yr I did 1 deer and 2 elk with mine, and what Id recomend is bringing 2 extra blades for elk and 1 for deer..that way you are packing around 10 or 15 extras for no reason.

Nothing but positive feedback from me.  The only addition I'd add is to have a saw on you in addition cause you aint gonna pop the breast bone with this one.  (unless you've got that gutless method down)

I got my first havalon a few years back and have used it on big game, waterfowl and all of my trapping kills. The knife is still going strong and I like how inexpensive a pack of replaceable blades are. I do have my eye on that new one with the 60x blades that are a little thicker and said to be a lot more durable.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back