Havalon Knives

for all you havalon owners, what do you do with all the used and broken blades?  Is there a way to send them back to havalon or recycle them?

Very good question Mountain Bowhunter. I just got off the phone with Havalon and I asked them the question. At this time they have no way of recycling the blades or know of a way to do so. 

Anyone else has any ideas?

I generally push the discarded blades down into the ground, sort of bury them or just toss them in the trash at home.

I will carry them out every time. I packed them in and I'll pack them out. Period.

I just thought about it because it seems kind of wasteful throwing away all that steel.  Seems like they should melt it down to make more blades. 

Maybe you could save them up and just sell them to a scrap company.  Probly wouldn't make much but at least it wouldn't be going to waste.

Mountain Bowhunter said:
I just thought about it because it seems kind of wasteful throwing away all that steel.  Seems like they should melt it down to make more blades. 

Maybe you could save them up and just sell them to a scrap company.  Probly wouldn't make much but at least it wouldn't be going to waste.

I agree 100%.

Jimbow65 said:
Can the be resharpened and reused?

I don't see why you couldn't resharpen them just like any other steel but I doubt you could ever get them scalpel sharp like they come.  Also, how do you transport those sharp blades once out of the wrapper they come in.

Also, how do you transport those sharp blades once out of the wrapper they come in.

You can put them back in the same wrapper.

Can the be resharpened and reused?

Yes, but it's not really worth the time to me.....one of the reasons I use them.

Maybe you could save them up and just sell them to a scrap company
I want to say scrap steel around here is going for around $8 or so for 100lbs......

Use and replace. not worth the effort,  especially when they cost .31 a piece if you buy the box of 100.

On another thread somebody brought up the new bolt that came out which takes the thicker 60A blades like the torch but it's got a bigger handle. looks pretty cool

Just curious you hear of a lot of piranta owners but not many that own the baracuta skinning knife, which is supposed to be larger than the piranta and the blades look thicker too. anybody a baracuta owner?

Mountain Bowhunter said:
Just curious you hear of a lot of piranta owners but not many that own the baracuta skinning knife, which is supposed to be larger than the piranta and the blades look thicker too. anybody a baracuta owner?

I own a Baracuta. It's my go to knife when I go to Alaska every year.  As far as using it in the field for elk, I personally wouldn't as it is to big at almost 11" long.

Great knife though.

Mountain Bowhunter said:
ghost said:
Yea, it's big, too big for quartering. But GREAT filet knife.

I guess I'll be getting a piranta then

You will NOT regret it. And if you don't want it after you've used it a few times I will buy it from you. So there, nothing to loose. Bet you won't sell it though.

ghost said:
You will NOT regret it. And if you don't want it after you've used it a few times I will buy it from you. So there, nothing to loose. Bet you won't sell it though.

haha well that settles it.  yeah I have my bark river for wood and tough stuff and I plan on having the havalon so I will always have a super sharp skinning knife even though I keep the bark river shaving sharp.  The bark river will probly never see blood, only wood.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back