How do you choose that "Hunting Partner"?

I meet mine hunting on the mountain crazy huh?  Even though he was a Marine and I was Army how's that for fate?

I gave up.have hunted with many but lives change as our family and jobs get in the way but mostly cant find someone that is as crazy about it as I am. still have friends up on the mountain and we check in with each other at the end of the hunting day if someone needs help.

Mine moved out of state, been looking for a good once since. I look for someone that doesn't argue about what to do, but discusses and we decide together. Also, they need to be able to call and work hard. Mainly, we have to be good friends and just have a good time together.

I've had it easy...it's my brother.  We've been hunting together for years and he's my best friend.  Also, he's 11 years younger than me so he can pack more than me when an animal is down!  8)

I'm still trying to find one! For the most part I hunt with my Dad but he is getting  older and can't go the way he used to.  Been trying over the last few years  to find one but it is hard to find one that is as passionate and I am about elk, and bowhunting.  Hunted with one guy, turned him into a "bowhunter", but I think he mostly prefers to road hunt now.  Haven't seen him in the woods in quite a while ;D  Maybe when my son is a little older.

Mine are my sons. My oldest (32) has been with me on all three elk hunts. We train together and know that we must be in the best physical shape we can be in to not let each other down. We practice shooting and we both love to bowhunt. A true hunting partner is one who enjoys everything about the hunt and is just as happy no matter who kills. 

Funny topic...

Nobody has ever been as good a hunting partner as my father.  I learned everything from him and was literally shaped hunting in his image. 

Since he lives in Washington now and I'm a Montana boy we don't get to hunt as much as we used to.  It was trial and error finding a friend to hunt with when I finally conceded to doing so. 
I used to tell my wife i felt like i was going out on first dates because a lot of the hunt consists of learning how these other people liked to hunt.  There's the anticipation that you hope the mix will fit, but more often than not it's just not the right mesh. 

I do have a friend to hunt with at this point but there were a lot of unsuccessful attempts before hand.  The same ethic has to be there for ethical shots and kills, a good match physically so you aren't always waiting for them to catch up.  Quiet steps and wind conscious.  A good caller who doesn't blow the hunt with poorly skilled or timed calls.  It's an operation "needle in Haystack at times but a highly valued fit.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back