How far do you travel to pursue elk

kjdouble

Dec 30, 2012
Just wondering what the distance you have to drive to pursue your passion.
Living in Maryland , each year I make a 28 hour drive to my destination in Colorado.
Already made plans for the return this August, will be there for opening day of Archery  ;D
KJ

I live in elk country.  I travel anywhere from 5 to 20 miles, depending on  where I find them . the furthest I drive is about 5 hours away to hunt with my brother during rifle season.

Wow!  27-28 hours is a long way!  We drive about 500 miles which takes about 10 hours and the drive just about kills me.  I guess I was just spoiled when I lived in Idaho and only had to travel 2 hours to camp.

Bulldown

28 hours from NC to Colorado camp.
First year we drove straight thru non stop into the mountains arriving just after daylight, then drove all day looking at several locations we had hoped to hunt. At 0900PM we were driving down a dirt road at 10,000 feet and just pulled over at a wide spot. Pulled out a dome tent, pads and sleeping bags. Crawled in and I think we were all asleep in 5 minutes. Never awakened one time that night... :eek:

Because of work I cannot travel real far, I can only hunt weekends.  A couple hours and I'm at camp.  I feel for you guys that have to travel a long ways BUT it's definitely worth it once you get there!!

6-8 hours to where we typically hunt,funny part is i have elk within minutes of home,just never mess with them.

Live in elk country so don't have to travel far for normal hunting. But have traveled as far as New Mexico from WA state to chase bulls.

I'm a little spoiled I can leave the house and start hunting.  Live in NW Colorado and can get to most of my spots in 20 mins.  We do pack in for last week every year.  Lead the horses in 4 miles cause the trail is way to dangerous to ride.  Feel sorry for you fellas.  I do drive 6-7 hers for turkey season though.

1-2 hours and I'm at the trail head. Who knows this year. Still trying to find that "special" spot to call my own.

Since I live in northern New Mexico I drive 40 minutes to my hunting location.
I love it especially when it comes to scouting.

I live in Spokane WA and hunt Idaho and Montana each year.

I can be to my Idaho spots in 1 hr and 42 minutes and Montana in 2 hours going the speed limit. If it is the middle of September I can shave 10 minutes off
that travel time:)

I live by Kalamazoo, Michigan, and I havehunted Montana the last 4 years, but where I hunt in Colorado is about the same distance 1,650 miles or 24 hours of drive time, I usually do about 1,100 miles the first day, get a motel and sleep for about 6 hours, and back on the road, and am where I set up camp about noon the second day.

Kevin

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back