How far is too far you if you had to pack the entire elk out yourself?

Jeremiah Johnson

Dec 29, 2012
I've packed several out in the 2-3 mile range in October myself and as each year clicks on I pay for it dearly and longer...fortunately more times than not I have a packer or two who can help, but for those times when it is me, myself and I, this would have to be at the limit I would push it these days. 

2-3 miles by yourself. The miles add up quickly once the animal is down. Even if you are in great shape fitness wise, you will still have 3 round trips assuming you can carry a front and rear quarter at a time and one last trip to get your gear out.

The area I hunt is about 6 miles from my truck, but I can take my bike and trailer in 4 miles, leaving me only 2 on foot. 

For a big bull I'd go 5-8 and only if I could keep the meat good.  Usually I have my brother hunting with me though.

only did 4-1/2 mile one way by myself....two trips.....completely boned out, cut the rack off....no sence packing out one ounce more than needed.With cold weather, i have no problem taking 5 days to make the pack..... I see guys packing out quarters every year, i ask them why pack out 80 lbs. of usless bones(let alone a 20lb head).....they look at me like i was some kind of lunatic......

We used to routinely do it 25-30 yrs ago and the 3-4 hr hike in wasn't the killer.  It was when you get an elk or 2 down after hunting several days then have to go out and in several times with ~100 lbs on your back!  One year in another area a buddy and I both got elk one evening and the next morning and we had to pack out his first as he had to leave for a class, then I had to pack mine out by myself.  It was only about 3 miles and not extreme terrain but the 6 or 7 round trips just about killed me.  The terrain and elevation difference are also key factors besides distance that can make a huge difference in what it takes.

I would say about 2 miles, but I have a buddy who has llamas so I will shoot an elk anywhere cause if I call him I will just go get the llamas. I just moved away from him, so this up coming year 2 miles will probably be about my max unless I can find someone around here who has livestock I can use. Usually I make them a deal that if they let me use their animlas I will give them some meat.

The weather is a big factor. Also, elevation gain  or elevation loss will limit my miles. I took out a bull this year solo 3.6 miles from the truck. The key here is I was taking the meat down hill (about 1600 vertical feet down over the 3.6 miles). It was pretty easy walking as there wasn't much for blowdown. I'd say 3-4 miles if the weather is cold enough (below 35°F) at night.

I have packed out my own elk about a mile, and helped pack out 2-others just over a mile I am 46 years old, and I haven't yet learned  (even with whitetail) that if I get an opportunity to shoot an animal I don't hesitate to shoot because I am too far. But, I think 3-miles or more would be miserable. but I live for that kind of misery.

as far as your training will allow...for some that should be a mile max, others it's 15+.  Once that elk is on your back you'll quickly realize if you've gone too far and unfortunately it's too late.

Just get involved with the local scouts.  12-18 yr olds think packing is fun, and they are always more willing than us old foggies.

I do a lot of backpack/bivy hunts so long packouts are the norm. 15 miles and I would be getting a packer....not sure cost would be an obstacle in that instance.....that is a long heavy laborious trek especially if it was all trail less.

Nothing is really to far if you do it right.  I often find myself miles from camp or my vehicle and go what would happen if I killed right now.  Just this fall we killed a bull late evening and did not make it back to camp till 0330, and it was worth every trip.

Depends on the terrain of course. I packed 1 bull alone for 3 miles in moderate terrain with 2easy trips and had him in the truck by 11.  Packed 1 bull to truck in 4 trips of only a half mile but it was steeper than the back of your head and that one hurt a lot!

This year we packed out an elk 3 miles from the truck. I wouldn't have been to bad but the back I was using (badlands2200) really hurt my shoulders. That was not fun.

I'm not sure about other places but in Oregon I try and get my elk out in 6 hours. If I cant pack it out in that I will either pass the shot or call some friends to help. And thats with warm sunny weather

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back