how important does elevation play in my area

Feb 28, 2016
I live in an area that the low spots are around 500ft and the highs are 750ft at a distant of about 3miles in any direction. I know thermals play a factor because I can watch the fog all year round and see how they work. but will elk travel that far just based on survival of thermals?

Elk don't always utilize thermals to their advantage. In an area like yours where the elevation change is 250 feet in a 3 mile span, I certainly wouldn't worry about them utilizing it. On the other hand, do your best to use the knowledge of it to help keep the wind in your face.

The elk will travel to and from areas every day.
Lets just use something simple like: bedding, to water, to a meeting area, to food, and back to bedding.

While they are traveling to these areas they will use the thermals to their advantage.
It's not to say they will only move in the direction of the thermals, but it's something else they can use.
I hunt early season in NM and there are certain areas where I hunt that elk won't move until the thermals have shifted into their favor.

but to answer your question, no I don't think elk travel based on just the thermals.

Im a wind puffer machine. I'm always verifying winds and thermals and keeping them to my advantage. I also slow down my movements at key parts of the day when the thermals are switching and swirling.

It seems like you have an understanding of thermals so I'd definitely try to keep them in mind while you're hunting. If you don't have a puffer and don't want to use one, a lot of people will tie a piece of thread to their weapon. For example tie a piece of thread to your bow stabilizer. You can look down and see what way the wind is going.
Some people prefer that because it's less movement than pulling out a puffer and dusting.

northernalbertaElkaholic said:
I use a puffer go threw about 3 per season haha I use it way to much. thanks guys

I started buying corn starch from the store and I use it to refill my puffer.
Still works great!

northernalbertaElkaholic said:
I use a puffer go threw about 3 per season haha I use it way to much. thanks guys

I don't think you can use it too much...  I refill my with carpenter's chalk from the local hardware store.  That $2 fills the puffers a lot and has a convenient cap to fill them with.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back