hunting arrow issue

elk sicario

May 6, 2020
I am relatively new to archery hunting. I shot my first elk with a bow last year, and was not impressed with my arrow. I did some research and cooked up a hotrod. My problem is that the spine is a little too heavy. it is a 250 spine rip tko from victory. i bought the 60 grain stainless in/outserts and have 200 grain masai broadheads from grizzlystick. final weight is 565 grains shooting 70 lbs. at 29 inches. The arrow does not tune well at close range, but corrects itself after 20 yards. i get unbelievable penetration at 60 yards, but am wondering if there is anything that i can do to fix the flight?

Agree with others. Way to heavy up front. There used to be an old saying about the spine of an arrow. " You can easily under spine an arrow. but it is hard to over spine"!

Try shooting some 150 or 125 gr. heads with your setup. I'll bet you will like em.

I do not think you are shooting too much front end weight. If your shafts are .250 spine you may have too stiff of a spine.

I'm shooting a Carbon Express Hunter Red 450 which is a .300 spine. It's the stiffest spine they offer. The arrow is 9.7 grains an inch. I shoot a 30 inch shaft. It has a 100 grain brass insert and a 250 grain razor sharp Grizzly broadhead. Back end has four blazer vanes. Total arrow is 674 grains and I am shooting 65# Mathews VXR. Arrows fly great and hit hard with 21 % FOC.
This is designed for max penetration.

Check out Ranch Fairy on Youtube and watch his videos. You can also email or message him and he will respond about your set-up.

so is there anything i can do with a full length shaft and a maxed out bow to get a perfect tune without upping my weight? if not fine, i will run them this year, but i am a bit of a perfectionist.

I would do some paper tuning. Try moving the rest a little at a time. How is your grouping at 30 40 50 ? I wouldn't be too worried about arrow flight as long as I had good groups where I aim at distances.

if i hold still, i can stack them at 40. my shooting needs some work at 50, lack of practice does that to ya though. it is not a forgiving arrow, but that is because it is overspined. as far as a paper tune goes, i had to use a micrometer to get it shooting right. i shoot a diamond edge 320, so the cams dont adjust. moving a quad that adjust horizontally and vertically simultaneously is a nightmare, but i got it done. it is all the way to the left(away from the riser). it is still a slight tear left at 6 feet, but it is a bullet hole once i get to 20 yards.

thanks! and the same to you. i think im going to turn my broaheads and call it good. might throw another 20 grains inside if i have to.

I would remove the 60 grain insert and put in a 100 grain brass insert. That will raise your arrow weight some but should fly well. As mentioned before, check out Ranch Fairy's Youtube videos on tuning heavy arrow setups.

You may also look at walk back tuning to get your arrow rest in the right spot.

Pick up some Easton Axis, or another arrow that you like in .340 spine and try them out.  I am at 65 lbs but for 70 lbs it would work well also.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back