Hunting Packs

Bigrax82

Dec 28, 2012
I am looking at going on my first Elk Hunt and looking for a good pack. Has anyone used Eberlestock packs? or is there a different pack brand better?

I have an eberlestock j107 dragonfly. the only thing I don't like is its weight. it's tips the scale at 8.8 lbs. but overall I'm happy with it. knowing I can carry either bow or rifle, all my gear and water, and still make a pretty good dent in the first haul out of meat. it's been durable, and I like all the options and accessories available for it.  I know their are other brands that I am interested in like kifaru, mystery ranch and kuiu, but they are almost double the price. when my eberlestock wears out, I'll prolly save to try one of those.

I used the Badlands 2200 pack for many years. I love the pack but wanted to try a lighter weight one this year. I opted for the Badlands Sacrifice and had nothing but stellar results! The pack ways a mere 3 pounds and compresses down to be very small, but when needed I was able to load it down and pack out several elk this year! It is a great all around pack!

I use a Badlands superday for my dayuse pack and a Cableas Alaskan guide pack for longer pack ins.  I really like my Badlands for a great fit and very durable.  For a pack for backpacking into an area I'm sure there are much better one's out there but it works for me OK as I typically don't pack way back much as I'm usually by myself.

I too have have the 107 Dragonfly and the X2 from Eberlestock.  Both are great packs and I have hauled out elk with both.  The X2 is a bit too small for a long bivy pack in, but works great as a day pack and first meat load out.  The Dragonfly is great, but I agree that it is a bit heavy and doesn't compress down as much as I would like for day pack.  I am getting itchy to upgrade to a lighter pack with a bit more options like Kifaru.

I had a chance to use the new Tenzing packs this past fall, and for the price range, they are the best I have used. You can spend more and get a better pack for sure, but for a mid-range pack, they did everything I needed them to and they were comfortable. I liked the adjustability of the TZ5000 and the TZ2200 is super lightweight, but carries a moderate load very well. I can't wait to get my hands on the new CF pack they are coming out with.... :)

Santa brought me and Eberlestock J34.  I can't wait to hit the timber with it.  Seems extremely well made.  I love the versatility and the ways that it can expand for game/gear hauling.

I have the Eberlestock X2, Makes a great day pack and can also work ok for a weekend bivy hunt. This year I paked out my bull with it as I only had to pack it out about a half a mile so did not go back to camp to get the pack frame.

I mostly just do day hunts a few miles from the truck so I use the badlands monster fanny pack.  Has been great for me and holds a big water bladder.

I bought the J34 last year. I have not hauled meat with it yet, but I,m sure it is up to the challenge. So far the miles I have logged with it I am very satisfied with the Eberlestock pack.

Hate eberlestock. Heavy and squeaky. Definitely spend as much as you can afford to keep from buying a bunch of cheaper ones. Look into Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, and Kuiu if you want top quality. You will pay for it, but it is worth it. Nothing like getting out there and having a pack take down your performance as a hunter. I had a Sitka flash 20 squeak on me while drawing on a really nice bull this year and spooked him off.

I cured the squeak on my Eberlestock X2 with some cloth tape and my primary beef is that they are heavy and there are better ones out there for hauling heavy loads.

I've used a lot of packs from different manufacturers out there.  I have to agree with Buglelk on this one.  The Tenzing packs are some of the nicest packs I've put my hands on hands down!  I have been a Badlands fan for years, but the new Tenzing packs now have my award.

Great Info Guys, I too have been using a badlands for the past 8 years , the 2200 but really want to try something new and lighter. One of the big problems with the badlands is if it rains it acts like a sponge . I bet the pack weighs 40 pounds when its pooring down rain in wwestern washington. Thats the only dislike I have of the pack.

I went with the Sitka bivy45 last year and wouldn't recommend it.  Several buckles broke and the pack does not carry an elk quarter very well.  For a 4500cu inch pack, it sure doesn't feel like it.  However, Sitkas customer service was awesome and replaced my pack with a new one so ill be using it again next year.    I wish I would have went with the Tenzig.

Bulldown

I have a badlands super day pack for short day trips, and the tenzing 6000 for the longer trips. It had plenty of room for all my gear plus extra. The adjustable torso is a great feature,  it can fit everyone in my family.

just FYI, i sent my eberlestock dragonfly back to them to fix a buckle that broke on the top of the pack (one that attaches the fanny pack, its sewn into the top) the customer service was awesome, i sent it back to them, and wasnt expecting it back for a while. the website says 'please give up to 8 weeks for warranty work'. i was pleased to see an email saying that it was already on its way back to me. only two weeks later.  pretty happy with them. 

I have used the Badlands 2200, Badlands 2800 both are ok packs for day hunts. But I use the Eberlestock Blue Widow (JP9)  for up to a 7 day hunt. Not the lightes pack but very well made.

I've used a badlands 4500 previously and now a Tenzing TZ5000.....  I love the way the TZ5000 fits me. Looking to Pick up a TZ2220 for Day Trips and MN hunting :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back