Hunting Packs

I use an internal frame backpacking pack designed for backpackers.  It is a Dana Design Astralplane Overkill.  Company use to be in Bozeman, MT, then sold out, and they no longer make good packs.  The guy named Dana has started another company named Mystery Ranch, and they may packs for some of the U.S.A. armed forces.  Don't have one, but based on Dana's past products, I bet they are great.  These packs allow me to carry my 70 pounds of gear for a week long elk hunt, and also carry out elk quarters.

I have been using MR and Sitka Packs the last few years. 
The MR Longbow with NICE frame is a great stand alone pack.  A bit on the heavy side but very user friendly and a great pack to use as a meat hauler for that first trip out.  50 pounds was comfortable. 
My Bivy 45 saw some great hunts last year.  Two of which found it packing hind quarters.  A great pack until you hit that 45 pound mark than the shoulder straps dug in bad.
I will be getting a new Tenzing pack for the 2013 season.  Carbon Fiber and/or the TZ6000.  I am very interested in seeing the new TZ Carbon Fiber......

My friend showed up to a pack in elk camp last year with the Eberlestock J34 pack.  I have to say it was a very bulletproof pack.  It is a bit on the heavy side but I think it buillt to stay.  To date I have not found a light and completely durable pack so I tend to have many for different uses.  But for heavy work I think the eberlestock is packs are great.

I hunt out of my pack quite a bit, and have come to prefer a number of the Kifaru packs.
If you plan on using your pack a lot, and carry meat out with it a quality pack is definitely worth the investment.

I have both the J34 and X2 packs from Eberlestock.  Both are excellent packs and have held up to years of abuse.  The big dilemma with packs when it comes to elk hunting is that you want to be as light and mobile as possible but also have a pack that can get your elk quarters out of the woods.  The "just one" J34 can butterfly open and actually carry two elk quarters, but is compact enough to wear as a day pack.  It weighs in at 7lb 8oz.  Shoulder straps and belt are comfortable. I haven't used a better weight to strength ratio pack yet.  Still on the search ;D

I love my eberlystock pack.  Carries my rifle or bow and then when I kill I can use the packs bow scabard to pack out my meat.

Don't be afraid to look at a molle ruck sack.  They are a little heavy, but you can attach all kinds of additional pockets and can be found online or any Army surplus store for pretty cheap.

I really like the Badlands Superday... But I am looking at picking up the Tenzing 1250 or 1140, want to be as light as possible for bow season this year.

I have one of the original Kifaru Longhunters from 10+ years ago and it was a packing machine.  Now that they have lightened their pack and provided greater flexibility for options to meet each hunter's individual preferences, I am seriously taking a look at them again.  I am a bit of a "pack" hound and probably need to sell some in the classifieds ;D .

I have to throw in another vote for Mystery Ranch. The NICE frame platform is super comfortable and rock solid. Match is with the bag that best fits your needs and you can't go wrong. I have the Longbow. My bivy gear is compact and very light. I can do a 5 day hunt out of this bag. It is listed as only 2400 cu in, but seems a bit larger to me. I have added two Mystery Ranch Long Pockets for the versatility to use it for trips longer than 5 days. While this is my first dedicated hunting pack, it carries weight better than any other pack I have owned, Gregory, Arcteryx, REI, Osprey. If you have the opportunity to try one out, do it.

I too have a MR pack.  Can't say anything bad about it except weight.  I now use a Stone Glacier SOLO pack.  I can't say enough great things about the SOLO pack.  Give 'em a look.

I have the eberlesock j34 and x2 and have had no problems. The x2 was squeaking so I used tape around the metal brace and it stopped. They are a little heavy but the quality in zippers and construction are hard to beat.

I use a eberlestock x1 and I love it for my elk hunts it is capable of carrying my gun or bow and has good storage. Its weight is a little downfall but not terrible. Works great for a day pack.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back