idaho newbie

Cliff

Apr 27, 2014
I am looking at hunting in  Idaho a DYI 5 day pack in on foot. and have narrowed down some areas to hunt but have no idea how to ask for advice without spilling the beans.  My hunt is not until 2015 .  Just needing some help and guidance.

Unit 19. I am limited to access to this area because I will not be using pack animals, so I will have to drop my truck off and hike in. The biggest concern I have now is how to narrow down which areas to focus on using google earth.  I am a flat lander  and won't be able to prescout 

There are many other units you can go in on foot for at least five miles and wouldnt see anyone else. 

I agree with both cowboy and Bullhunter. Just wondering why did you pick unit 19? Here is a link to the Idaho Fish and Game site. http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/ifwis/huntplanner/stats.aspx The B tag season is Sept. 15-30 any weapon. So if you want to hunt the Rut with a bow you will have to compete with rifle hunters. How ever the Harvest statistics for any weapon look great ranging from 16.9% to 32%.
I have never hunted 19 but I have hunted 14, 15 and 19A which border 3 sides of 19. It is part of the Gospel Hump Wilderness so you should not have to compete with motorized vehicles in most of the unit. I have backpacked in some of the unit and some places are pretty remote and rough. Do you have a hunting partner? If not make sure someone knows all the places you plan to be because you could get hurt in there and it would be a long time before someone found you if ever. If you have any specific questions let me know I'll see what I can dig up.

Heath74 said:
I agree with both cowboy and Bullhunter. Just wondering why did you pick unit 19? Here is a link to the Idaho Fish and Game site. http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/ifwis/huntplanner/stats.aspx The B tag season is Sept. 15-30 any weapon. So if you want to hunt the Rut with a bow you will have to compete with rifle hunters. How ever the Harvest statistics for any weapon look great ranging from 16.9% to 32%.
I have never hunted 19 but I have hunted 14, 15 and 19A which border 3 sides of 19. It is part of the Gospel Hump Wilderness so you should not have to compete with motorized vehicles in most of the unit. I have backpacked in some of the unit and some places are pretty remote and rough. Do you have a hunting partner? If not make sure someone knows all the places you plan to be because you could get hurt in there and it would be a long time before someone found you if ever. If you have any specific questions let me know I'll see what I can dig up.

yeah i have hunted 16-17 selway you should get a spot or something if your going solo just in case its steep rugged country strait up and down lots of  good elk if you can find them. that country can make your question your sanity lol be in good shape and when you feel your ready work out somemore lol

I will have at least one hunting partner maybe two ( 18 months is a long time for them to change their mind) I settled on 19 by looking at what areas I could rifle hunt during the rut then took 3 years of harvesting stats averaged them and looked at tag availability for a non resident.  I have spoken with the biologist for that area and he said I would need to come in from near dixie and that the terrain is rugged but do able on foot. I am traveling from Mississippi so hedging my bets by rifle hunting.  I appreciate all of y'all's help and advice and will listen to any suggestions you have.  Thanks again.

Hey guy's Im going on a Elk hunt Oct-Nov time frame and we have units 28 and 36b what are you guys can tell me about it. Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back