It’s JULY…

Rich Z

Dec 29, 2012
Well we are getting closer…

Where is everyone at with preparations?

My gear list is down to only needing a couple things

Sleeping Bag (good one)
Water filtration pump (not sure what kind yet)
Havalon Knife
I’m sure there is more but this is on the “must have” list.

Workouts are going good. I’m still down the 22 lbs with about 15 more to go. I found a park that has stairs (lots of steps) so I’ve been stopping every day after work and hiking the steps until my legs get wobbly that I don’t dare do anymore plus regular walks with a loaded pack frame and I spend most weekends cutting splitting and stacking the 10 – 12 cord of wood I need for the winter.

Good luck with you final preparations. Your workouts sound a lot like mine did last year. Unless a miracle happens in the near future, I will be staying here in PA this year, the funds just aren't there. I have been shooting, hiking and splitting and stacking wood too, just in case that miracle happens.

Rich Z said:
Well we are getting closer…

Where is everyone at with preparations?

My gear list is down to only needing a couple things

Sleeping Bag (good one)
Water filtration pump (not sure what kind yet)
Havalon Knife
I’m sure there is more but this is on the “must have” list.

Workouts are going good. I’m still down the 22 lbs with about 15 more to go. I found a park that has stairs (lots of steps) so I’ve been stopping every day after work and hiking the steps until my legs get wobbly that I don’t dare do anymore plus regular walks with a loaded pack frame and I spend most weekends cutting splitting and stacking the 10 – 12 cord of wood I need for the winter.

I have all my gear together. Now I just need to find a new partner to hunt with. If you are looking at a water pump I would go with a gravity flow filter. After pumping for over 20 years I switched this year. I took mine on a short backpack trip with the family. When we got to our stop for lunch I filled up the dirty water bag and hooked to the filtered water bag and set on a rock while we got the lunches out. In 2 mins we had 2 liters of clean cold water. You can also use the clean water bag as your hydration bag in your pack. It can also filter as you walk and they weigh less. Here is a link to a the one I bought. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005SO94A0/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/size] 
[/size]
[/size]If you want really light go this way. http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-SP131-PointOne-Squeeze-Pouches/dp/B005EHPVQW/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1372774013&sr=1-1&keywords=sawyer+squeeze+filter+system Picked one of these up for my son and he loves it. I'll put the large bag in my day pack just in case I need to refill my bottle.

They both work great.

Down to 180 lbs now and working hard at getting under 180 before the end of July.  Pack is set, gear is ready.  Time to get out and do some serious scouting towards the end of the month!  Definitely getting the itch.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back