launching tomorrow for CO 1st rifle

Billy Goat

Sep 5, 2017
we had planned to leave Sat am., but because of anticipated storms on Sunday, we're launching a day early for the mountains.  decision was made this morning.

while I was already distracted and somewhat unproductive, we've moved completely off-radar and into counterproductive mode. 

thank goodness, I was able to get done all the stuff I'd need to get done already. :)

good luck to all who will be heading to the mountains.  I'll be back with a report in a couple weeks.  Godspeed, all.

Good luck.  I know it's dry and CO/WY need the moisture, but the weather doesn't look ideal for hunting the next few days.

Best of luck Shane! You guys are heading out way early. Doing a week of scouting ahead of time?

we just got back from Co last night.  I'd like to ask for some feedback from our more experienced guys.  I've never been more confused by an elk trip.

Summary:  we hunt a limited draw unit near Gunnison.  Have hunted it (with statistically average success of ~25-30%) on 3 prior trips.

the week prior to the opener, we saw lots of elk in groups of 3-12 daily.  most were spotted between 10,800 and 11,800'.  Lots of muleys too.

It was snowing up high just about every day.  it accummulated at higher elevations (10k and up), but burned off daily below that.

Once the season opened, our group of 9 saw a grand total (it embarrasses me to admit this.....) of 2 (two, dos, both) elk.  A cow and a calf.  Very few muleys spotted. 

it was the coldest trip I can recall, with overnight lows of 8-20F at our camp (9600'). 

while I expected the elk might move "down" the mountain to dodge the building snow up high, I have no clue where they went.  it was like they vanished. Our group used multiple hunt methods of sitting, stalking, and even a last ditch "drive" without result.

We hunted most altitudes from a low of 9000 all the way up to 12,000. "snow line" was about 10,000 or so.  Highest I got was about 12,000, and the snow there (just below treeline) was only ~6" or so.  Didn't really seem deep enough to me to cause any sort of major migration. 

the weirdest part is that for the first time in "all" my 6 bowhunts and 4 first rifle seasons, I didn't hear a single bugle or any cow talk.  Crazy.

All that griping/confusion said.... it was still better than 12 days of work, or piddling around the house.  I loved the time with friends and family, and the unique event of having 3 generations in camp.  My dad, me, my 14 year old.

For giggles, attached is a picture of our camp, which consisted of an 18x36 MPGTS tent, a 10x20 carport (entry vestibule) and a 16x16 Army tent for excess gear storage.  Perhaps the elk ran off thinking they were being invaded?  :)

I was out there for first season also and we saw 1 elk, thankfully I was able to get a shot and take a 5x5.  That said, we saw 1 in 5 days, we were hunting a little north of you east of Meeker and the snow was a lot deeper (12-18", had some melt the last 2 days), but it was also bitter cold (3 days never getting over 20F).  We were hunting from 8500 to 9500 and the elk were even below us.  Talked to some guys hunting near the bottom of the mtn and they cleaned up opening day, taking 7 bulls in 24 hours (at least that is what they said).  They also mentioned that the elk were heading down lower then them. 
This was my uncles "honey hole" saying that they usually see 20+ elk a day in this location.  However, they have never had this kinda snow and temperatures at this time of year.  With that and the information from the guys we spoke with at the bottom, we could only assume the elk had moved down.  If our camping situation would have been better we would have moved, but we were in a makeshift tarp tent, becasue ours collapsed from the snow.  So moving this tarp tent was not an easy task.Im interested to hear what other have to say on this subject.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back