Mechanical vs fixed

montanaelk31

Mar 18, 2014
Just want to know everyone's preference  and type (not a dissertation on why 1 is better than the other)

Mechanical, ulmer edge 125s

montanaelk31 best mechanical out there. how many you have stocked up? TrophyTaker stopped production due to patient issues. Loved mine but switched to D6 slicks. Zero complaints with how they fly, we will see how they kill

Slick Tricks this year, killed my bull last year with Ulmer Edge. Just switch things up every year.

Huh...kinda surprised that its about 50/50- thought more ppl would be fixed.

2 bow_dozer- our hunting group made the switch to Ulmers in 2013 and never looked back.  We haven't lost an elk (9 for 9) and haven't had one make it any further than 150 yards.  We've had especially good luck with the all stainless for pass thrus. Hope someone picks up the design.
  Can't wait to share some more carnage this wkd!

I killed my first bull with the rage three blade expandables. I like to shoot ramcats now. Super accurate. I had little to zero difference between them and my feild points. They are also super sharp.

Fixed, DirtNap Gear DRT
c32f521fc0247e319754ac56cef1122c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will never shoot anything but mechanicals...I've had too much variability with accuracy (especially at long range) with fixed blades in the past, and don't want to screw around tuning my bow and adjusting pins for broadheads. It's a big confidence boost to know that your broadhead will always fly exactly the same as your field tips.

I shoot hypodermic Rage 100 gr. 2 blade. The other 2 guys I hunt with also shoot 2 blade Rage. Had good luck with them this year, huge gaping holes, 2/3 were pass throughs. They truly fly like a field tip, and placement really is everything. Some friends of mine shoot G5 T3 mechanicals, and they've had great success with those as well. I considered trying them out, but figured why mess with what'sworking.

Not sure why Rage broadheads get so much negativity around elk hunters, but I've had nothing but good luck with these. At the end of the day, it's all about placement. Make a good shot, and pretty much any modern broadhead will work.

Rage - 2 blade  100 grain

Last year killed a nice 6X6.  Double lung pass thru.  Only went 75 yds.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back