Mechanical vs fixed

MT Elk Hunter said:
I will never shoot anything but mechanicals... don't want to screw around tuning my bow...

Yikes! 

You still need to be tuning your bow man, regardless of the BH you are shooting - especially if you are wanting the best accuracy.

Arrows4Elk said:
MT Elk Hunter said:
I will never shoot anything but mechanicals... don't want to screw around tuning my bow...

Yikes! 

You still need to be tuning your bow man, regardless of the BH you are shooting - especially if you are wanting the best accuracy.

Why would I tune my bow differently for BH vs field tips when they shoot exactly the same?

MT Elk Hunter said:
Arrows4Elk said:
MT Elk Hunter said:

Yikes! 

Why would I tune my bow differently for BH vs field tips when they shoot exactly the same?

Perhaps I misunderstood your original post.  With a properly tuned bow, most fixed BH's should fly the same as your field points. You shouldn't have to restrict yourself to shooting mechs b/c you cant get the same accuracy as your FP's.

Besides how cheap and bent they get after one rib hit here is another good reason:

https://www.facebook.com/jimburnworth/videos/770454289730325/

Interesting video. I personally never liked a mechanical. From the very first Punch Cutter I got in, I have always found a flaw. If you take the time and tune your bow, it will shoot almost any broadhead with field points. Yes, I've tried several mechs from time to time, but I always go back to a fixed. Going one step more, I lean to a COC head.

Interesting video for sure. He should clarify the specs on the young man who shot the deer (draw weight, length, arrow, etc).

I'm a mechanical guy when I can (Utah, Montana, Colorado) - Grim Reaper, 100 gr, Razor Tip

When in Idaho I shoot G5 Striker 100 gr and have had good experience with them. Full pass through on my bull this year. First full pass through on an elk. (I've only killed 8 elk with my bow)

He's shooting the G5's (fixed blade) cause mechs are illegal in Idaho - as are lighted nocks, so be sure to check your regs!

I too hunt Idaho, so I know the regs on broadheads. My point was, if you're getting good flight with a fixed blade, why would you switch just because you hunt in a different state?
I like the KISS, keep it simple stupid, line of thinking.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back