Montec G5 vs Shuttle T

I have never had to adjust when I change from my field tips to my Montec G5 broad heads. The key is a well tuned bow along with making sure each arrow spins well with the individual broad head.

They both fly like darts, if you have a well tuned bow. I shot Montec's for years and I loved them. They are bullet proof. My only dislike of them was that I just didn't feel the blades were sharp enough. I tried every which way to sharpened them, they were sharp but not scary sharp. In the end, I just wasn't 100% satisfied. I switched to the Shuttle -T last season and I am very impressed with them. I just wish they were as bullet proof as the Montec's.

ghost said:
They both fly like darts, if you have a well tuned bow. I shot Montec's for years and I loved them. They are bullet proof. My only dislike of them was that I just didn't feel the blades were sharp enough. I tried every which way to sharpened them, they were sharp but not scary sharp. In the end, I just wasn't 100% satisfied. I switch to the Shuttle -T last season and I am very impressed with them. I just wish they were as bullet proof as the Montec's.

have you tried the montec cs? supposed to have a better edge

Mountain Bowhunter said:
ghost said:
They both fly like darts, if you have a well tuned bow. I shot Montec's for years and I loved them. They are bullet proof. My only dislike of them was that I just didn't feel the blades were sharp enough. I tried every which way to sharpened them, they were sharp but not scary sharp. In the end, I just wasn't 100% satisfied. I switch to the Shuttle -T last season and I am very impressed with them. I just wish they were as bullet proof as the Montec's.

I have, they are a little sharper but also the metal is softer than the SS. They are still not sharp enough for me. People  say that the Montec's don't feel sharp because the bevel is at a different angle than other broadheads. But regardless the angle, if I can't shave hair from my arm with it, it's not sharp enough.

ghost said:
Mountain Bowhunter said:
ghost said:

I have, they are a little sharper but also the metal is softer than the SS. They are still not sharp enough for me. People  say that the Montec's don't feel sharp because the bevel is at a different angle than other broadheads. But regardless the angle, if I can't shave hair from my arm with it, it's not sharp enough.

yeah that's the ultimate test.  what did you use to sharpen them?

Mountain Bowhunter said:
ghost said:
Mountain Bowhunter said:
ghost said:

yeah that's the ultimate test.  what did you use to sharpen them?

I tried the G5 diamond stone, the G5 Sportsman Sharpener, a different diamond stone, leather strop and also tried the wet method with very fine automotive sand paper.
I'm sure it could be done, but I REALLY gave it my best for a few years.

I use montecs, never had to adjust from field tip. I've seen the montecs pierce a still plate and all it needed was sharpend and that was just a little bit to. Stand by them 100%

I personally wouldn't shoot anything but Montecs.  I've had great luck with them and they actually make an 85gr head.  If the shuttle t's were 85gr, I may consider it, I said may...  8)

archery288 said:
I personally wouldn't shoot anything but Montecs.  I've had great luck with them and they actually make an 85gr head.  If the shuttle t's were 85gr, I may consider it, I said may...  8)

so you prefer the 85 grain over something heavier?  I guess for better flight?

ghost said:

Completely agree with this statement, I currently shoot both, and have both in my quiver, but at the end of the day though I prefer Shuttle-Ts!

I shot the G5 CS this last summer and found they drifted on me but the viper tricks wouldn't.... anything closer than 50 they both patterned well. But theabuse the G5 took all summer trying to figure it out, it is defiantly a durable broad head.

BrentLaBere said:
I shot the G5 CS this last summer and found they drifted on me but the viper tricks wouldn't.... anything closer than 50 they both patterned well. But the abuse the G5 took all summer trying to figure it out, it is defiantly a durable broad head.

when you say g5 cs are you talking about the montec?

Have used the G5 Montec for 4 seasons. Great blade with amazing results. I have head great reviews about the Shuttle T's and decided to try them in 2012.

They fly great with my set-up. I shot my bull at 6 yards this year with a 100 gr Shuttle T. Only hit one rib on the way in and broke two of the blades off. I was well behind the shoulder and mid body. After field dressing the lungs looked like I shot him with a single blade. The two blades had broke off on the entrance.

Bull only went 100 yds, but not impressed. Will be using montec again this year.

LITLLEJOHN, 

I went on a javelina hunt this passed January. I used my regular bow setup that I use for everything, including a 100gr. Shuttle T  broadhead which I started using last year.  After I shot my javelina, I recovered my arrow and found that 1 blade of the Shuttle T had broken off and another one had a chunk missing.  I didn't have any issues with it last fall on my elk, but this last hunt has me wondering.  I assume the broadhead hit a rock once it passed through the 35lbs pig, but still, that would have never happened with the Montec. I am really reconsidering going back to the Montec.

I am with ya. I have no reason to switch away from the Montecs. Just heard really good things about the shuttle t. I was shooting a 490 gr FMJ at 6 yards and did not get a pass through on a broad side bull. The blades broke and it looked as if they were tearing through.

Only takes once for me. Confidence in my equipment is soooo important.

I am sure they are a good product, just not for me. :)

LITTLEJOHN, How on earth are you sharpening your Montec's ? I have tried everything for the last 4-5 years with average results. That has been my only gripe with the Montec and the only reason I went to the Shuttle T's.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back